Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/23/2002 9:40:27 PM EDT
What is the average market value of a barely-used Colt pre-ban? (20" HBAR, 1/7 twist)

I have seen them up near $1800 to $2000 at local gun shows....

(This is messed up: At the gun show, I also saw a company misrepresenting a used post-ban Colt Match Target as a pre-ban for $2000.)
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 9:52:27 PM EDT
[#1]
I hope its okay to post this here.  I know nothing about Colt ARs, but there is a Colt Sporter at the local shop with a 1/7 20" barrel with fixed muzzlebreak but no bayonet lug.  I wasn't sure this was a preban or not?  Wondering if you guys could help me out, I have no intention of buying it but the owners weren't even sure if it was preban or not.
Thanks
Bill3508
Link Posted: 2/24/2002 12:00:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Energizer--depends on the model (Sporter II, Government, Sporter Match), large or small front pins, etc.  More info (or at least the first couple of letters and numbers in the serial # would help).

Bill--Most Colt Sporters are pre-ban.  It is probably a Flash Hider, not a muzzle brake.  Look at the end of the muzzle device--basically, a flash hider has a big hole, a muzzle brake has a hole that is only slightly larger than the .22 bullet.  What is the model on the gun, and how much are they asking?  Colt made a number of preban models without bayonet lugs.

Link Posted: 2/24/2002 12:21:22 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

a flash hider has a big hole, a muzzle brake has a hole that is only slightly larger than the .22 bullet.  What is the model on the gun, and how much are they asking?  Colt made a number of preban models without bayonet lugs.

Hold on, The colt factory compensator is much larger than .22...it's more like a 1/2 inch at the exit end.  This research has to be done by product name (i.e. "SPORTER", "AR15", etc), and serial number would help.

Edited to mention that the Colt factory muzzle break doesn't look anything like a bird cage flash hider.  It is about 2.5 inches long and has three large slots at its 12 O'clock position.

edited again b/c I'm hammered
Link Posted: 2/24/2002 3:51:18 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I hope its okay to post this here.  I know nothing about Colt ARs, but there is a Colt Sporter at the local shop with a 1/7 20" barrel with fixed muzzlebreak but no bayonet lug.  I wasn't sure this was a preban or not?  Wondering if you guys could help me out, I have no intention of buying it but the owners weren't even sure if it was preban or not.
Thanks
Bill3508

This is exactly what I have, but I know for a fact its a flash suppressor, not a muzzle break, and I guess Colt was trying to be politically correct, and removed the bayo lug.

After I bought it, I called Colt and confirmd it is actually a pre-ban by giving them my serial number.
Link Posted: 2/24/2002 3:55:17 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Energizer--depends on the model (Sporter II, Government, Sporter Match), large or small front pins, etc.  More info (or at least the first couple of letters and numbers in the serial # would help).

Bill--Most Colt Sporters are pre-ban.  It is probably a Flash Hider, not a muzzle brake.  Look at the end of the muzzle device--basically, a flash hider has a big hole, a muzzle brake has a hole that is only slightly larger than the .22 bullet.  What is the model on the gun, and how much are they asking?  Colt made a number of preban models without bayonet lugs.

I could care less about the bayo lug, but a flash suppressor is a MUST HAVE feature, which is why I got the pre-ban.

I looked at the receiver, and it is a Colt Sporter, Match HBAR. (SN: MH######) I think the model number is R6601 (that is what I have written down), but I am not sure-- where do I confirm the model number???

How can I tell if it uses large pins or not? I know this one was built just before the ban, according to Colt-- lucky me! but I paid a premium price for it a couple years ago... Luckily, prices have gone up :).
Link Posted: 2/24/2002 4:01:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Basically, look at the size of the front takedown pin and the back takedown pin--the pins are the same size in Mil-Spec guns, in the Colt large hole guns, the front hole is larger.

I would guess a value of $1200-1500 on the gun (low end on a quick sale, high end on a "wait until it sells" sale), and locally it may bring more.

AFARR

Look here for more details:

www.biggerhammer.net/ar15/
Link Posted: 2/24/2002 4:18:21 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Basically, look at the size of the front takedown pin and the back takedown pin--the pins are the same size in Mil-Spec guns, in the Colt large hole guns, the front hole is larger.

I looked at the pins, they look to be about the same size... I also checked out that web site, and found this:

Blue Label: 1991- Current: Small hole lower, No bayo lug, 1992 DIAS Block, 1993 large hole fire control parts.

So this means I have a small take-down pin, but large hole fire-control parts, and that little block, right? What does DIAS stand for?
Link Posted: 2/24/2002 5:00:18 AM EDT
[#8]

What does DIAS stand for?

Drop In Auto Sear.

I have a Colt Sporter Target (#ST035XXX). It has the small pivot pin, sear block, and I assume the large fire-control parts (I have never measured them).
Link Posted: 2/24/2002 7:15:08 AM EDT
[#9]
saw a pre-ban Colt at the local gun store for 1600 last week.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top