Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 2/23/2002 8:55:49 PM EDT
Which of the two are better, the A1 Birdcage or the A2 Birdcage flash suppressor? The A1 is ported all around while the A2 is only ported on the sides and top only. I kind of think that the A1 would look cooler when fired.
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 9:06:10 PM EDT
The A1 allows dirt to billow up when firing prone, revealing your position, which is why the A2 was adopted.
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 10:25:09 PM EDT
In theory, at least, the A2 flashider should also reduce muzzle climb.
Link Posted: 2/24/2002 12:55:00 AM EDT
You're right sulaco, with a thermal imager, either of the compensators look cool.
Link Posted: 2/24/2002 4:36:22 AM EDT
As far as flash suppression the A1 style is superior to the A2.
The A2 gives up a little flash reduction, albeit not enough to make an appreciable difference. However you get reduced 6 0'clock muzzle blast, which eliminates dust signature while prone over dirt or sand plus a side benefit of reduced muzzle climb.
So the A1 is better in flash reduction.
Link Posted: 2/24/2002 7:47:15 AM EDT
How does the original 3 prong flash suppressor compare in Re to reducing flash, kicking up dust etc? If & when I get around to buying a pre-ban Ar I plan on having it set up like the one dad carried while in SE Asia (Seabee, '69-70). A1 upper, non trapdoor buttstock, triangle handguards, 20rnd (actually 18rnd) mags & 3 prong suppressor.

Link Posted: 2/26/2002 10:19:44 PM EDT

Originally Posted By RiffRandall:
How does the original 3 prong flash suppressor compare in Re to reducing flash, kicking up dust etc? If & when I get around to buying a pre-ban Ar I plan on having it set up like the one dad carried while in SE Asia (Seabee, '69-70). A1 upper, non trapdoor buttstock, triangle handguards, 20rnd (actually 18rnd) mags & 3 prong suppressor.

RiffRandal: You might want to do some research before you build your rifle. I’m not sure the three-prong flashhider and the buttstock w/o trapdoor are appropriate with an A-1 upper (esp. re the forward assist).

However, they may be – it’s difficult to tell exactly when some of these changes took place. Also, you’ll want to use the older pistol grip.
Link Posted: 2/26/2002 10:45:51 PM EDT

Originally Posted By 199:

Originally Posted By RiffRandall:

RiffRandal: You might want to do some research before you build your rifle. I’m not sure the three-prong flashhider and the buttstock w/o trapdoor are appropriate with an A-1 upper (esp. re the forward assist).

However, they may be – it’s difficult to tell exactly when some of these changes took place. Also, you’ll want to use the older pistol grip.

I think he is right. Get a slab side lower and a slick side upper - SP1 style.
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 8:24:50 AM EDT
Yes, an SP1 if you want the period look. You can then try opening tin cans with it.
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 10:08:54 PM EDT
From 199 Re 'nam era AR

You might want to do some research before you build your rifle. I’m not sure the three-prong flashhider and the buttstock w/o trapdoor are appropriate with an A-1 upper (esp. re the forward assist).

However, they may be – it’s difficult to tell exactly when some of these changes took place. Also, you’ll want to use the older pistol grip

I'll have to ask dad Re the forward assist. I do know that the one he was issued had the non trap door stock & 3 prong. Not that he really liked the M16 at the time, would have rather had a Garand (which he loved). Even if the one he had was slick sided I'll probably go for the FA just for peace of mind. If I was going to recreate his in every detail it would also have to have to be selective fire...... & would have to end up in Da Nang after joining the Navy to avoid Vietnam.........

Link Posted: 3/15/2002 5:12:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/15/2002 5:13:09 PM EDT by markm]
Link Posted: 3/15/2002 5:28:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/15/2002 5:30:21 PM EDT by Vulcan94]
Sulaco, In response to your original post, I remember reading a article about just that. The author compared the original 3 prong, A1, and the A2 flash suppressors. In his test, the 3 prong was the most effective in reducing muzzle flash, followed by the A1, then the A2. That why I put a 3 prong on my AR when I built it back in 1988. Altho, I have been thinking about getting an A1 and A2 styles just to try them out myself.

Vulcan94
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 8:40:29 AM EDT
i recently bought 3 prong and were told they are originals not reproductions how would you tell the diference
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 8:56:45 AM EDT
Have no dog in this hunt, but for those of you considering the cool factor of Smith Enterprises Vortex 3 prong FS (which IMHO is one of the best at flash suppression). It might be wise to consider why the military discontinued their use. Take a jog thru heavy woods or your local jungle and you'll find out.

Three-prong FSers hang on everything in the woods, bushes, vines and even those barb-wired fences your not suppose to cross.

Something to consider on your primary SHTF weapon, unless you'll never consider taking to the back-woods.

Mike
Top Top