Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/23/2002 8:57:51 AM EDT
I have been a member of the NRA for a couple of years now.  I've only been shooting handguns for aabout half a year.  Would it be possible for me to be an NRA pistol safety course instructor this summer?  I will graduate college in May, and don't expect work until August/September.  I'm thinking this could be a way to help pay some bills.
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 11:03:09 PM EDT
[#1]
See: www.nra.org/, go to “NRA Programs”, then go to “Safety, Education and Public Service”, then scroll down the pop-up menu to “Become a NRA Certified instructor”.

I’m not one, so I can’t give you any personal insights.  

I suspect you need to start lining up the training now if you hope to be one by this summer.  I also suspect you should have some idea where you hope to get a job before starting down this road.  

My impression is that a lot of NRA instructors use the position as a second, part-time job rather than for full-time employment.

Edited to fix link.
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 11:24:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/24/2002 12:37:15 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

My impression is that a lot of NRA instructors use the position as a second, part-time job rather than for full-time employment.

Edited to fix link.

Thank you for the link.  I realize pistol safety instruction is entirely a part time job.  My reference to August/September was when I plan to land a job in my field of career interest.
Link Posted: 2/24/2002 7:30:25 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I have been a member of the NRA for a couple of years now.  I've only been shooting handguns for aabout half a year.  Would it be possible for me to be an NRA pistol safety course instructor this summer?  I will graduate college in May, and don't expect work until August/September.  I'm thinking this could be a way to help pay some bills.

I'm an NRA Certified Instructor with Pistol Rating.  If you have the opportunity and interest you should seriously consider becoming an NRA Certified Instructor.  There are only 937 of us.  We're fighting the good fight.  We could use your help.
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 6:14:33 AM EDT
[#5]
I think I will also look into this.
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 9:26:05 AM EDT
[#6]
938  I just became one a week ago.
It was very easy to do but you have to know how to shoot and firearm safety going into it. The great state of MD may allow carry permits one day and NRA Certified Instructors will be hot!
Costs may vary. I paid $100 for the two day class. Drove 240 miles a day for three days to do this. First day was qualification. I drove that 240 miles to fire five shots and drove right back home after passing the prelim. Go for it. They get great deals on firearms too thru dealer incentives.
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 10:16:09 AM EDT
[#7]
There are three basic requirements to passing the NRA basic pistol instructor's course:

1) The shooting part is easy.  You have to fire a group (5 rounds?) at 50 feet with an iron-sighted .22 pistol from an unsupported standing position and put all the rounds into something like a 3" group.

2) You have to have a certain degree of technical knowledge, including:
- The NRA's three rules of firearms safety
- Parts and nomenclature of the basic types of handguns and their ammunition
- Safe handling of the above
- Range operations
- Firearms cleaning and maintenance
- The fundamentals of marksmanship

3) The "biggy" is being able to plan, organize, and conduct training classes in accordance with NRA standards.  You have to learn how to teach and how to run your classes "by the book".

You can take the instructor's class over a weekend.
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 10:45:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Like Renamed said, it only takes a weekend unless you have to travel a long way to get to the classroom. I spent 12 hours on Saturday and 12 hours on Sunday being instructed and tested and came away rated for Home Firearm Safety, Basic Pistol and Personal Protection. It's a lot of fun. And we get cool shirts and caps.
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 10:55:04 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
938  I just became one a week ago.

Thank you and welcome!  Like the rest of us, as well as normal instruction, you have just become a high-value target for Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts, 4-H, YMCA, Indian Guides.

It's really great!

Maybe that smiley wasn't totally appropriate, but...
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 11:49:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Been an instructor in rifle, pistol, shotgun, and home firearm safety for a number of years.  Have yet to make a dime on it.  We hold classes at our club from time to time.  Charge enough to cover materials.  There are a couple of commercial ranges in the area that hold classes. But I doubt they're getting rich on the deal.

Becoming an instructor is an excellent idea for the sport, just not a financially viable one.

Link Posted: 2/28/2002 12:51:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks A-Rock!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top