Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/22/2002 8:21:13 PM EDT
Well, muzzleloader

$95 used Plainsman Rifle by Muzzleloader Armoury at the local gun store, no manual.  Percussion cap. I never touch one before, so I got all the stuff I thought I needed. (Measure, flask, yadda yadda) I ran home, cleaned the bore real quickly, guessed that 70 grains of Pyrodex is a good amount, threw that in, threw a prelubed patch on, rammed a ball in, threw a cap on it, and ran outside.

20 primer caps later I realized something is wrong.  By this time (5 min for each primer, waiting incase of AD so I don't blow my head off) I'm nervous, because I never shot one, I don't know what the recoil is like or if I loaded it right, and this sumbitch hang fires 20 times.  I get pissed and take it back in the basement.  I remove the screw that is in that drum thing the nipple goes in, and I can't see powder.  I try ramming it harder, and still nothing, so I dump a little Pyro in there, and run back out.  By this time it is dark as heck.  I pull back on the hammer, throw it up, yank the trigger, and KLABOOM!  It finally went. Huge muzzle flash, lots of smoke, and me there grinning from ear to ear.

One thing I learned... Pyrodex makes alot of smoke and smells like a hot fart when you clean the barrel.  This stuff STINKS.  I mean fucking REEKS.  Hot burrito fart is no joke.

Anyone else here shoot smoke poles?  What is a average load in grains?  I was told between 70-100 but I want a 2nd opinion.
Link Posted: 2/22/2002 9:44:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Monel,
I shoot a T/C hawken .50 cal perc. I use 90 gr of pyrodex RS w/ a hornady great plains conical bullet. I believe they weigh 480gr. It will shoot 2" groups @ 100 yrds. It is an excellent load for the local whitetais. Enjoy....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top