Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 2/22/2002 3:22:02 PM EDT
I have a nice SA M1A with walnit stock that has been finished such that its got a lot of reddish hues with some black in it. I have been trying to duplicate this look on some M1 Garand stock sets I have been refinishing, all walnut.

My general technique is stain, followed by tung oil, followed by a beeswax based wax finish. I've tried walnut stain, red mahoghany stain, and red oak stain. So far they all pretty much look alike, i.e., brown walnut. No red tones.

Is there some great secret to doing this? Maybe a tube of "Desert Passion" lipstick added to the tung oil prior to application?

Anybody care to share some ideas? Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/22/2002 3:36:51 PM EDT
Take a look at Brownell's website. Their catalog shows Herter's stock filler and stain with a French Red like old Brownings; Pilkington Classic Spirit Stain; Pilkington Classic finish with a Pre-64; and a couple more.

Give them a call and talk to one of the techs and they should be able to point you in the right direction,
Link Posted: 2/22/2002 4:13:57 PM EDT
When I wanted a red colored stock on my M1 I used Tru-Value Cherrywood stain.

I wiped it on and right back off before it could set to deep. Then I oiled it up.

The stock is almost too red. I think next time I'll dilute the stain a bit next time with something. Haven't quite decided what yet.
Link Posted: 2/22/2002 7:39:32 PM EDT
I’ve never used it, but Dixie Gun Works sells an Alkanet Root stain, which they describe as “Very strong wine red. This is the English red – the mythological stain of James Purdey, etc.”
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 4:30:17 AM EDT
They way I have done it is to use leather dye from frombys (sp). I believe the color you are looking for is medium brown.

There are several gun supply places on the web that sell this particular dye rebranded for gun stock finishing. Unfortunately, I don't remember exactly where I got mine.

E-mail me and I will look up the particular stock number for the dye.

Link Posted: 2/23/2002 5:28:25 AM EDT

Originally Posted By JonnieGTyler:
When I wanted a red colored stock on my M1 I used Tru-Value Cherrywood stain.

I wiped it on and right back off before it could set to deep. Then I oiled it up.

The stock is almost too red. I think next time I'll dilute the stain a bit next time with something. Haven't quite decided what yet.

That's what I would use if I were looking for a red, the hardware store ought to have just about any color you could want, finish as ususal.
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 5:54:03 AM EDT
I strip M1 stocks with Kleen Kutter varnish and laquer remover and steam out dents. Once the stock is stripped, the wood will be bleached and if Tung is applied, will turn out somewhat orange. The trick to get it red is use Fiebings Dark Brown leather dye before and after the Tung Oil treatment. Email me for more details. Chuck
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 9:08:54 AM EDT
The military used logwood oil or stain up till the 1920's. It was dropped as a cost cutting measure.

I think you might be looking for the military stock stain on p. 216 in the Brownells catalog.
The FFL (C&R too) discount applies here.

If you don't have a C&R FFL, GET ONE!!!!! It is less troublesome than buying a shotgun, costs only 30 bucks, and is good for 3 years.

I used a cherry colored stain on an old Winchester 52 stock that I stripped with Easy Off. It looks georgeous! It was too red on another stock I tried it on, though. I would have bought the correct stain if it could be shipped to ALaska.
Top Top