Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/17/2002 6:47:12 PM EDT
I'm trying to decide on a bushy m4 vs the 20 inch model.  I'm I sacrificing a significant amount of accuracy by going with the shorter barrell?  thanks for the help!
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 6:52:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Just my opinion, ymmv.

Barrel LENGTH should have no bearing on the accuracy.  Barrel STIFFNESS will.  For that reason, I think the 20" will be twice as accurate as the M4 profile.

SRM
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 6:53:59 PM EDT
[#2]
On an optic mounted gun you will not loose any accuracy 14.5" vs 20". However with regular sights you will loose a little.
The big Question is what range and use??
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 7:29:46 PM EDT
[#3]
I think you will lose accuracy because of sight radius. The longer the sight radius the better the accuracy because with a shorter barrel, the small twitches while you are aiming the greater the movement of the point of impact. If you are a perfect shooter and perfectly still there would be no difference other that the muzzle velocity.

In real life situations, the point of impact, with practice, would be irrevelant. But if you are target shooting, you will notice the difference.

Personally, I prefer the 14.5" barrel because of the compactness and the fact that I can still pretty well put a hole where I want it.
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 7:40:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Ponyboy is right. There is no real difference in accuracy but there is a perceived difference due to sight radius. That's why bloop tubes are popular on highpower space guns. You could get a Dissipator - that'll give you a 16" carbine length barrel with a 20" barrel sight radius.
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 7:56:50 PM EDT
[#5]
(Gamebore, knowing your use for this rifle would help get better information.)
-----------------------------------------------

You will lose some velocity with the shorter barrel.
Practically, this will have more affect on the distance the shot is likely to be lethal than on accuracy.
However, with lower velocity the bullet will go subsonic sooner, loose stability and cost you some distance (and accuracy) on long shots.  

Probably the M4 will be a heck of a lot more versital and more fun to shoot.

I would get a 1:9 twist barrel on either rifle to get a larger selection of bullet weights (and lengths) to choose from.

Now go look at the ArmaLite M15A4 Carbine !!
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 8:18:41 PM EDT
[#6]
I vote for the "Dissipator".
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 8:28:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Actually Shorter barrels are MORE accurate than longer barrels.  Specifically for the reason SRM mentioned.  A shorter barrel of the same diameter is stiffer than a long barrel.  However, you do lose velocity, which can also affect down range performance.  

You have to balance handling characteristics (16" is a little more handy than 20"), vs. velocity loss (I believe it is about 100 to 150 fps less in the 16" barrel), vs. sight radius (not a factor if you are using a scope).  In the end, just get what feels best to you, and you will probably shoot a little more accurately.  

AFARR
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 8:39:15 PM EDT
[#8]
That's a moot point out of a chrome lined Bushmaster barrel. IOW, we're not talking about a free floated match rifle barrel here. The difference you're talking about is on the order of microns. You wouldn't be able to see it.
Link Posted: 2/18/2002 1:33:14 AM EDT
[#9]
 I'm about to say a bad word but its an "ASSAULT WEAPON"! Smaller is better..If youre really into precision shooting i dont think 5.56 is where its at anyhow...
Link Posted: 2/20/2002 4:47:21 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Actually Shorter barrels are MORE accurate than longer barrels.  Specifically for the reason SRM mentioned.  A shorter barrel of the same diameter is stiffer than a long barrel.  However, you do lose velocity, which can also affect down range performance.  

AFARR

For just a rough rule-of-thumb, at about 300 yards the slower velocity of the carbine-fired bullet begins to adversely affect accuracy.

Again it would help if we knew what "Gamebore" was going to do with the rifle.  What type of shooting and at what distance ??  
Link Posted: 2/20/2002 5:46:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Wow! Guys thanks for all the helpful info.  It was driving me crazy not being able to get on the board and read them.  To answer your question, I don't forsee myself doing much shooting beyond 200 -250 yrds.  Here in PA even the varmit shots are usually within that range.  Hope that helps. Again I really appreciate all the info
Link Posted: 2/20/2002 7:10:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Yes, that helps a lot.

I would get the carbine - you're good out to about 300 yds and the carbine is easier to manipulate.

Now I'd get an ArmaLite M15A4 Carbine !  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top