Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 2/17/2002 6:33:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/20/2002 6:41:29 PM EDT by Blkbrd]
Ok its time I finaly bought an AK or clone, I am leaning to a Kalashnikov USA AK-103 or a Mak-90 any opinions on quality vs price are apreciated.
This is a shooter not a preban investment.
Will be 7.62X39.
must take 30rd. availible mags.

After a few days looking on AK-47.net have came to some conclusions.

The Kalashnikov USA AK-103 (Russian) is way expensive and not what i'm looking for.

The Arsenal USA SA M-7 (Bulgarian)seems to be the right gun however the SAR-1 (Romanian) may be the way to go due to the amount of rifle you get for the cost.

Have ruled out a MAK-90 due to that thing they call a stock.

I'm torn between wood for the tradition or plastic.
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 6:39:15 PM EDT
ak.ar15.com/forums/ Plenty of info over there.
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 6:48:24 PM EDT
If you're looking for a shooter, rather than an investment, nothing says that better than an SAR-1. Cheap & ugly, but function fine as all AK's do.

Have you considered an AK in .223 or 5.45X39? I don't have any real interest in 7.62 now that I own both a .223 & 5.45 varient. For .223, I would look into the SAR-3 or a MAK-90. In 5.45, I have an SAR-2, but they are kind of hard to come by anymore. Go hang out over at that AK site & read.

You & I are kind of going in opposite directions. I'm expecting my first AR soon, a Bushie M4 from Gunsmoke. Should be an interesting addtion to my AK's.

Good luck.

Link Posted: 2/17/2002 8:17:58 PM EDT
Try the USA-made SA-M7, a Bulgarian spec. AK, with highly desireable milled receivers.

SA- M7

This model is mfg'd under license from the Bulgarian AK firm, using that factories actual set & tolerance gauges in the mfg process. I picked one up for about $700.00 which is an excellent price. I had considered buying a Marc Krebs-made AK (price: +$1K), but these disappeared after a reported fall-out/scandal between him and Kalashnikov-USA. Now, I'm glad I missed them, because these ones are excellent in fit, finish and performance. Check out this report: www.modernsurvival.net/sam7.htm

Personally, I'm a fan of the milled receiver variants because of their strength and durability, and never thought I'd get my hands on one at a decent price. These are definitely the E-ticket AK's. Only the Bulgarian variant's have milled receivers, and though they add extra poundage, this is a plus when firing the heavier .30 cal AK rd. I recommend them. You won't be sorry.

Word to the wise: Get it fast & get it good. (IOW - Get it while you can & go for quality). A buddy of mine bought a nice, el cheapo $300.00 AK, which was typically reliable, but our hands started to cook on the wood furniture after less than 100 rds. At the very least, get polymer furniture.

Just FYI, Knight's also makes an AK rail.

KAC's AK RAS
(Found at: www.jtdistributing.com)
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 8:29:21 PM EDT
VEPR II or VEPR K by Robinson Armament is the best quality.
7.62x39
5.45x39
http://www.robarm.com/

Link Posted: 2/17/2002 8:33:07 PM EDT

Originally Posted By FRIZ:
VEPR II or VEPR K by Robinson Armament is the best quality.
7.62x39
5.45x39
http://www.robarm.com/

I just purchased a 5.45 VEPR K. Fit and finish is excellent.
Top Top