Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 2/17/2002 6:20:07 PM EDT
I went shooting today at someone's private land, shooting lawnmowers and glass jars... (fun!!!) and I whipped out my 7mm remington magnum remington 700 and lined the crosshair on the target (glass jar) and BANG!, and the glass jar is intact!!! Something seems wrong with the scope mount or something, I can twist the scope with my hand, for some reason the shot keeps veering off to the right, I think it has to do with a loose scope mount, is that right? How can I sight in the scope without shooting the rifle? I dont get to shoot guns that often.... on a side note the round did cause a very large hole on a steel drum and as the rifle fires I can see the leaves and twigs move in response to the bullet, anyone care to explain why this happens?
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 6:29:27 PM EDT
The first thing you need to do is find someone who is more familiar with shooting, to go and show you the ropes. You picked one hell of a rifle caliber for a novice. I would of started with at .22.

If that is not possible you should make sure that the scope is properly mounted to the rifle. Once that is done you need to set up some kind of paper target. Then you need to get about 25yds away and shoot the rifle. Make your rough adjustments at this range to insure that when you get farther back you will be at least on the paper. Then just adjust the scope to the desired settings.
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 7:29:37 PM EDT
Without know what scope, mount, and range you were shooting at, I'm going to steer clear of that part of your question. Something's wrong there - the scope should not turn. Could just be loose or it could be mounted improperly.

But to sight in on the bench without shooting support the rifle front and rear in a benchrest and remove the bolt. Sight down the bore and center the target black in the bore. Keep the rifle steady and adjust the elevation and windage on the scope until the black is centered in the scope. Keep going back and forth between bore and scope to make sure you're not moving the rifle. That'll get you close enough and then you can punch holes in paper and fine tune it.
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 10:53:37 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 11:24:26 PM EDT
You can always buy a bore sighter. That will at least get you close.
Link Posted: 2/18/2002 5:06:58 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Troy:
I'm sure if you posted your city/county and state, you'd get several people who would be willing to help you get your rifle range-ready, and then help you sight it in at the range.

-Troy

Sorry, I live in Austin, TX near UT... perhaps someone who lives near UT can take me to Reds indoor range or something and help me sight in....
Link Posted: 2/18/2002 5:18:29 AM EDT
To just get your scope sighted in close enough to hit paper you can bore sight it pretty easily. First thing is to take the bolt out of the rifle. Then take it outside and find a really sturdy place to set it down so that you can look down the bore and through the scope both. It will help a lot if you have some sandbags or something, if not just wedge it in somewhere where it won't move. Then pick out something to aim at and move the rifle around until you can see it through the bore. Now, without moving the gun, adjust the sight picture in the scope and try to put your crosshairs on whatever you are aiming at. Alternate between looking down the bore and adjusting the crosshairs and you should be pretty close by the time you are finished.

I can usually get within 4-6" of my aiming point, which is at least enough to get it on paper at the range and make it easy to dial it on in.
Top Top