Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/17/2002 6:28:23 AM EDT
Hi There,

I'm new to AR-15 style rifles.  I recently bought a 16" AR-15 style rifle built by a local gunsmith. This is my first AR style rifle.  It has a Bushmaster lower receiver, but the upper is from a company called Wilson (I think it's Wilson Arms and NOT Wilson Combat).  

Can the experts on this board provide me some feedback on the quality of the Wilson Arms receiver and barrel?  The upper receiver and barrel that I have look like they are very well made.  Is there any appreciable difference between the Wilson Arms parts and the Bushmaster parts?  Are Wilson Arms parts reliable?

Also, the barrel is not chrome lined.  I am thinking of buying a Bushmaster chrome lined barrel for this gun (so I won't have to worry as much about corrosion).  Can I just "drop-in" a new 16" Bushmaster barrel, or does it need to be fitted by a qualified gunsmith?

Thanks-in-advance.

IrvJr
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 6:43:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Welcome aboard newbie!

Your lower being a Bushmaster is great. Having a quality lower is the most important thing as dressing up any old cheapie no name lower with new barrels and such you'll still have a cheapie rifle. Wilson makes alot of barrels that are used by other AR makers, so I don't think they are very bad at all. As for the other upper reciever parts, so long as they are mil spec and work well, than one kind is just about as good as any other. Why rush out and swap the barrel? Just about all .223 ammo out there is non corrosive so that's not really a worry. Did you know that this web board did a huge group buy of AR15's from Rock River Arms and none of those were chrome lined. These guys know thier stuff and I don't think they would have got them if non chrome lined was an issue. If you did swap barrels it does take some (not a lot) know how and a few speacial tools. My gun store lets me use their tools when I change barrels out so maybe your's will too when ever you decide it's time to do that. Check the build it yourself forum for all of those details on barrel swaping.

If you do any mods at all. How about getting real Colt M4 double lined handguards that are bigger and feel better in the hand. They look cool too.

Good Shooting
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 7:16:25 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Welcome aboard newbie!

Your lower being a Bushmaster is great. Having a quality lower is the most important thing as dressing up any old cheapie no name lower with new barrels and such you'll still have a cheapie rifle. Wilson makes alot of barrels that are used by other AR makers, so I don't think they are very bad at all. As for the other upper reciever parts, so long as they are mil spec and work well, than one kind is just about as good as any other. Why rush out and swap the barrel? Just about all .223 ammo out there is non corrosive so that's not really a worry. Did you know that this web board did a huge group buy of AR15's from Rock River Arms and none of those were chrome lined. These guys know thier stuff and I don't think they would have got them if non chrome lined was an issue. If you did swap barrels it does take some (not a lot) know how and a few speacial tools. My gun store lets me use their tools when I change barrels out so maybe your's will too when ever you decide it's time to do that. Check the build it yourself forum for all of those details on barrel swaping.

If you do any mods at all. How about getting real Colt M4 double lined handguards that are bigger and feel better in the hand. They look cool too.

Good Shooting

The above is sound advice and I have nothing of value to add.
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 9:37:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the good advice(and welcoming)!

IrvJr
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top