Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/15/2002 1:37:47 PM EDT
OK, I have a serious question for the brain trust here (sort of) actually, it is an opinion I am really looking for, so here goes.  IF you could only have two AR's, one carbine and one 20", and one would be preban and the other postban which two would you choose ??
I am leaning to a preban 20" and a postban carbine. reason is, I tend to prefer the A2 stock and don't really care for the telestocks. So what are your thoughts ???
SPECTRE
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 1:54:33 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
OK, I have a serious question for the brain trust here (sort of) actually, it is an opinion I am really looking for, so here goes.  IF you could only have two AR's, one carbine and one 20", and one would be preban and the other postban which two would you choose ??
I am leaning to a preban 20" and a postban carbine. reason is, I tend to prefer the A2 stock and don't really care for the telestocks. So what are your thoughts ???
SPECTRE

Preban Eagle Arms 20" and postban ArmaLite carbine (same company).  Both have excellent quality and the company has great customer service.
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 2:00:37 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
IF you could only have two AR's, one carbine and one 20", and one would be preban and the other postban which two would you choose ??
I am leaning to a preban 20" and a postban carbine. reason is, I tend to prefer the A2 stock and don't really care for the telestocks. SPECTRE

Since you are wanting two models, if you don't care for the telestock, why not make both of them post-bans and save some money for a couple new uppers? You can always put any upper you want on either of them, excluding pre-ban features for the post-bans...
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 2:07:49 PM EDT
[#3]
OK, let me add that I am not looking for "which manufacturer" and I know I could get two postbans and save big $$$$,  But lets just go with 1 pre and 1 post.

Link Posted: 2/15/2002 2:12:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Preban:
Carbine! You'll need that flash suppressor more on the shorter barrel.

Postban:
20" barrel without muzzle attachment should in theory be more accurate that a barrel with a muzzle attachment.
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 2:22:23 PM EDT
[#5]
I would invert it. Get a post ban A2 and a pre ban M4- there are lots more "evil" features on an M4 that you would miss on a post ban model. The collapsible Telestock, whether you like it or not, is a valuable feature.

Link Posted: 2/15/2002 3:03:31 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Preban:

Postban:
20" barrel without muzzle attachment should in theory be more accurate that a barrel with a muzzle attachment.

I've got to vote with 'Princeton'.

(Of course that means if Princeton is wrong....that it is his fault !)
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 8:50:52 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Preban:

Postban:

This was my thinking as well. My friend had a 16" post ban, and that flash was HUGE! Get an M4.

Also-- you will want the shorter barrel as the pre-ban, since it makes more sense to add a telestock to a shorter barrel...
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 9:34:28 PM EDT
[#8]
I have to agree, with the majority.  A post ban 20" and a pre ban carbine, because the AW ban affects Carbines more that Rifles.  Less flash on a 20" so you'd want a Flash Supressor on the Carbine.  A2 stock for the 20 inch so you can have a telestock on the shorter Carbine, and a Bayonette on the carbine because it would be better for CQB than a rifle.
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 9:41:27 PM EDT
[#9]
why not just get a preban lower and build what ever you want.....
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 9:45:05 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
why not just get a preban lower and build what ever you want.....

It's a "what if" game.

rules
1) only 2 AR's one carbine, one rifle
2) one preban, one post ban
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 9:52:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Two heavy barrel Bushmasters, one with a National Match type barrel, 20 inch, and the other an M4 with a heavy barrel.   Both with registered autosears installed, so forget the preban requirement.

The M4 would be 'correct' in barrel length and have a birdcage flash hider on it.

Both would be very close to the standard military configuration, excepting the heavy barrels.  Nothing fancy, just full auto.

Realistically, I don't care about the missing bayonet lug and flash hider very much.  The bayo lug doesn't affect the way the gun shoots at all, and a decent muzzle brake is better than a flash hider from an accuracy standpoint anyway.

CJ

Link Posted: 2/16/2002 4:33:15 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Realistically, I don't care about the missing bayonet lug and flash hider very much.  The bayo lug doesn't affect the way the gun shoots at all, and a decent muzzle brake is better than a flash hider from an accuracy standpoint anyway.

This is my thinking as well-- and why I am considering to get rid of my pre-ban for a post-ban, with various uppers-- unless I can find a good price on a M4 conversion...
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 2:26:52 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Preban:

Postban:

Yup
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 3:51:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Heres what I use. For a punching paper/ chuck hunting rig with a sub .750MOA required, v-match 20". Flattop no sights. 4-12 scope and x-high weaver rings. Drilled handgard for stud and harris bipod. Removed sling loop on front sight. 4# trigger job......

On a carbine I want the lightest weight possible while hunting in the adrondacks. It also had to have a 1-7 twist for heavy bullets and A2 sights. The 6530 had all the features I was looking for... 5 1/2lbs, 1-7 chrome bore/chamber with an aimpoint on top. Sweet hunting rig.....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top