Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/12/2002 6:53:56 PM EDT
is DSA,or armcorps a decent FAL manufacture?what is a good price for a sa58 .is there a FAL forum?

Thanks for your input.
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 7:07:14 PM EDT
[#1]
DS Arms - there's just no company like them for consistent quality.  (Except the original Belgium guns.)
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 7:14:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Try www.fnfal.com for a world of information on FNs!  The DS Arms are the finest equipment that you can purchase today, but you'll pay a premium price for it.  Arizona Response Systems & Aze Arms are fine companies to produce FN variants as well.  Once you shoot an FN, you'll always want one or two!  In my mind, it's the smoothest shooting .308 semi-auto period !!!
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 7:20:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Here's the low down in a nut shell:

The best quality FAL(and they were made by many different countries), was the Austrian STG-58. Many think the Beleium FN's were the best FAL's, but that just isn't the case. FN made very good weapons, but not as good as the STG-58's. The Austrian FAL was superior to the FN's, but history, for some reason has given the FN FAL's name recognition. Name recognition is one thing, and they are nice guns, but the bottom line is that prior to DSA, the Austrian STG-58's were the finest FAL's in the world.

DSA bought the rights and the initial tooling from Steyr and began to produce domestic FAL's in the same tradition of the STG's, they are called the SA-58's. DSA then went on to refine the production process, improve materials, modernize the tooling and devoted a LOT of hands-on to the production process.

The result of DSA's efforts was nothing short of producing the finest FAL ever made. They are exceptional guns, expensive, but exceptional and world class. When you ask if DSA makes a "decent" FAL, I would say not only are they decent, they are the best. There are a few FALsmiths around who also make outstanding weapons, like www.arizonaresponsesystems.com/home.htm . Nothing but good stuff from those folks. There are many more FAL makers that sell total junk, often using South American parts, with mis-matched components. Total shit. Stay away from anything with "Hesse" on the reciever.

I personally own a  DSA Limited Edition Lightweight SA-58 Carbine. Outstanding would be an understatement, but you're talking about an FAL that has a M.S.R.P. of $1,700.00. Check out www.fnfal.com/falfiles/ for everything you'd want to know about FAL's. Realize this though, in the FAL world people are strongly supportive of their personal brand of FAL, sort of like the Colt/Bushmaster/Armalite deal with AR's. The difference with FAL's though is that there is only one company today that makes a modern, factory new FAL and that's DSA. DSA has no peer in many respects and brand loyalty doesn't address that issue since DSA has raised the bar so much.

If you have the money and want the best FAL ever made, there is only one choice, DSA. If you have about $900.00, DSA also makes a "kit" gun called the STG-58A, and they are almost as nice as their factory new rifles. You wouldn't be able to tell it apart from a factory new rifle. Exceptional as well. www.dsarms.com
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 8:58:54 PM EDT
[#4]

Amoung other accurate things M4 said "If you have the money and want the best FAL ever made, there is only one choice, DSA. If you have about $900.00, DSA also makes a "kit" gun called the STG-58A, and they are almost as nice as their factory new rifles. You wouldn't be able to tell it apart from a factory new rifle."

The DSA kits are made with like-new Steyr parts that were in such good shape I was hard pressed to see any wear anywhere . The receiver and the required number of parts are of American manufacuter so you can still use imported cheap $6 magazines unlike others who skimp on one American part which requires the use of American magazines/parts.
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 11:11:39 PM EDT
[#5]
No question. the DSA FAL is superior to the Imbel or Enterprise Arms. I've built many DSAs with no problems. The Imbel and Enterprise builds always required hand fitting. I would go DSA without hesetation.

My.02
Link Posted: 2/14/2002 12:36:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Go to the FAL Files as suggested, but I would add that there is no real proof DSA receivers are any better than Imbel.
Link Posted: 2/14/2002 6:53:24 AM EDT
[#7]
DSA indeed makes a fine product, but I'm not sure I would elevate them to "FAL God" status.  If you're looking to buy a brand new commercial grade gun then they are nearly the only game in town.  If you include prebans and custom kit guns, however, there are so many variants that it is difficult to say who is/was best.  Some would say an Israeli FAL is hard to beat, for instance.

Get some more opinions from the FALfiles.
Link Posted: 2/14/2002 8:02:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Having owned a number of FALs (and still owning too many) I would have to say the best FAL's *ever* sold on the US market were probably the Springfield Armory SAR48.  The fit, finish and function has been incredible on all examples I've owned or handled.  No rough machine marks (like on FN's) and all parts fit perfectly and work properly.

That being said, I own more FN's than anything else.  The FN guns are military production rifles so I've learned to accept some of their rough edges.  In terms of function, I've never had a problem with any of my FN's.  They've always been flawless performers.

DSA probably makes the best US gun.  Are they Steyr quality?  No.  I've owned a couple and both had their problems.  They weren't always fit properly and on one the take down lever was so stiff it was almost impossible to move.  The finish on my carbine was spotty -- with dark spots and light spots.

Overall the DSA guns are very nice, but I wouldn't trade a pre-ban SAR48 or FN FAL for one.  

If I had no other choice and had to purchase a post-ban US made gun, DSA would be my first choice.  But wouldn't claim they are the absolute best in the world, as I personally know better.
Link Posted: 2/14/2002 9:48:09 AM EDT
[#9]

DSA probably makes the best US gun. Are they Steyr quality? No. I've owned a couple and both had their problems. They weren't always fit properly and on one the take down lever was so stiff it was almost impossible to move. The finish on my carbine was spotty -- with dark spots and light spots.

Overall the DSA guns are very nice, but I wouldn't trade a pre-ban SAR48 or FN FAL for one.

The Springfield is certainly worthy of a debate, but the FN's are not. DSA's are made from the same blueprints as the Steyrs, so other than better materials, better tooling, and much greater hands on production they are VERY similar. DSA is an upgraded version, thus better in my opinion. Nostalgia is one thing, quality is another.

FN rates as the best in name recognition alone. Fine weapons yes....the best? No.....possible third in the list, based on many factors.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top