Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 2/11/2002 11:00:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/11/2002 11:03:52 PM EDT by raptor]
Need a little help from you long range shooters. I picked up a Remington 700 Stainless rifle in .308 yesterday.
The barrel is described as being a 700 Stainless Special 5R Milspec Heavy Barrel. I don't see any mention in the Remington catalogs or webb site concerning this option. Custom Shop? The stock looks just like the kind on a Sendero-perhaps an HS Precision stock??
Has anyone shot one of these and how does it compare to a Remington PSS Tactical.Were these used by the military? I was told that these are real shooters. What kind of group potential is there? Any background would be helpful. Thanks!!
raptor

Link Posted: 2/11/2002 11:33:39 PM EDT
I'm not an expert on this subject by no means, and I don't have a Rem 700. But I have read that the Rem. 5R barrel is one of the their best. It is being currently being used by Reed Knight for their SR25. I think the 5R barrel is a special 5 grooves and lands, where the groove is opposite a land.
Link Posted: 2/11/2002 11:38:57 PM EDT
Um, I have been reading a little over at www.snipercountry.com and according to reports there, the Rem 700 with 5R barrels are EXTREMELY desirable and relatively speaking, VERY rare. You are quite luck to have one. I cant remember the exact percentage, but apparently it can increase accuracy up to 30%? They have 5 lands, which if I remember correctly, creates a better seal between the bullet and barrel. Should you ever decide to sell it, I am sure you could get top dollar for it.
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 2:19:05 AM EDT
The 5R is the same barrel found on the U.S. Army's M24 Sniper Weapon System. As stated above it has 5 lands and grooves versus 6. It also has a rate of twist of 1 in 11.25" versus the typical 1 in 12". Some cosmetic differences are the fact that it is 24" as opposed to 26" and it has an 11 degree crown versus a concave one.

Bradd
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 3:58:29 AM EDT
5R is a Boots Obermeyer designed 5 groove barrel with a match chamber. Very nice. Very desirable. May be more common over time.
Top Top