Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/11/2002 9:18:04 PM EDT
I had a Browning Hi-Power, on which the frame needed a refinish.  The baked on finish of the browning was lifting up in many places.

I sent it off to Mac's Shooting Iron www.shootiniron.com/

If I comepletely stripped the frame, he only charged me $30 to refinish it.  What a DEAL!

He basically has a process called "Tuff-Gun" which I think deals with parkerizing the frame, then applying a top finish coat.

I asked for standard black finish.  

Initial results... I am very pleased.  The gun is a nice matte finish... and a little light for black, but close.  Serial numbers still stand out nicely... it does not "fill" them at all, thankfully.

Here are before and after pics of the frame.... BIG improvement.

Before:  Note the large areas of no finish at all, where it had "lifted" up:

After:  Note the nice matte finish, very even and smooth.

Here is how it looks assembled now.  The frame looks lighter than it really is, because of the matte finish.  It definitely is lighter than the original BHP finish... but it looks very good.

Some of the pins were a little tough to get in, simply because the frame gets finshed in every hole.  In actuality, I am happy with this, because the trigger pin was getting loose due to age.  It fits very snug now.

I dont know how it will wear... but seems to be pretty tough.  Upon installing the slide, it "chips" away some of the finish on the rails (of course) and the fit is a little tight.  He provides instructions on how to hand lap the frame to slide fit.

Also, his work was very prompt, and he keeps in constant touch with emails, giving updates.  Excellent customer service!!!

I would not hesitate to have work done there again.
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 2:54:16 AM EDT
[#1]
I did business with Mac's and was quite pleased.  My job was a small magazine repair and refinish project.  The folks at Mac's were quite attentive to e-mail responses, timely in their work, and their finish looked quite fine to my eyes.

I too give Mac's a big thumbs up

Regards,
Gary
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 5:03:01 AM EDT
[#2]
I have noted Mac's www.shootiniron page and am interested in his Stock-Kote stock refinishing process. I have a beat-up looking A-1 stock and also a buttstock and fore-end grip set for an AK-47 which I am considering having refinished in Stock-Kote black. Has anyone ever had any stocks refinished by this method and if so can you make a comment?????? Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 5:53:40 AM EDT
[#3]
I have sent an AK clone w/mags, a revolver, and two pistol slides to Mac.  The finish and attention to detail with regards to the finish is outstanding.  

I'll second that Mac is prompt, courteous, and knowledgeable in his e-mail communications.  

Most importantly, he takes customer satisfaction seriously.  We had a couple of minor glitches, and he went out of his way to make sure everything was squared away.  
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 6:07:31 AM EDT
[#4]
It is like you said a little light for black.  I had a light EA lower that I wanted matched to my Bushmaster black upper and it cost me $50 at Lauer Custom Weaponry but it matched perfectly.  Congrats on getting it back together.  I took apart my Beretta and it was a nightmare getting it back together.
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 6:09:38 AM EDT
[#5]
So far I've sent two rifles to Mac to finish in OD green.  On both, I had him do the receivers in green and all small parts in black.  One of the rifles was surely a pain for him, as I had work done on the barrel, and sent it separately.

Anyway...

PERFECT WORK EACH TIME!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top