Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/10/2002 2:27:27 PM EDT
Can someone give me some info on these? I sot one that a friend of mine has and they are hands down the best 9mm I have ever come across. Just wondered if anyone has some good and bad points on them? Also are the knock-off brands any good and which ones are worth a look?
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 2:35:43 PM EDT
[#1]
The best part would have to be the fine single action trigger pull. The worse part would be the availablity and price. They're not safe enough for use in California and I wasn't fast enough to get one in the collection when they were still safe.

The CZ is a Browning-like design.
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 2:59:57 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a hi power that I absolutly love. The reasion is that it has one of the finest triggers that I have ever pulled. If you get a Hi power you owe it to yourself to send it over to APEX tactical for a trigger job. There web sight is http://www.apextactical.com. The blued hi power shown as a tactical highpower on the web site is mine.
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 3:25:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Paul, are you serious?  The HiPower is banned in California???
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 3:34:52 PM EDT
[#4]
edblevi, the HiPower is truly a fine pistol.
John Browning's last design.
www.fnhipower.com/ is a good forum, also the Handguns forum here has a Browning section.  I've heard the FEG knockoff is good, also the FM made in Argentina.
Hope ya get one!
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 3:48:50 PM EDT
[#5]
My wife has a HP and that puppy has been flawless. We did have the trigger reworked to lighten it up a bit. In the last 12 years, it may have misfed 5 times, and she shoots it a lot! It'll feed just about anything we put through it. The only thing I have against it is, it's 9mm. Not that that's a bad thing, I just prefer a nice 45.

coyote3
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 4:01:09 PM EDT
[#6]
I just bought the FEG PJK-9HP, I love it and for the price $250otd.

Just did away with the magazine safety and the trigger pull is getting respectable. If I could find a real HiPower in matt or parkerized finish I would probably buy it as well, but I am really happy.......
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 4:51:10 PM EDT
[#7]
I have had a HP for awhile, so here's my thoughts on the good points and the nitpicky bad points.  You have obviously shot it enough to know the good points but perhaps not enough to see any problems, so I'll go into more detail there.

Good - single action, thumb safety, near perfect ergonomics, natural pointability, reliable, readily available 13rd hi-caps

Bad - magazine disconnect, long trigger reset, the beavertail, a couple of sharp edges, hammer bite

The magazine disconnect is a pain when at a competition, clearing the pistol for storage, etc.  It should be removed ASAP and its removal will clean up the trigger pull slightly.  The trigger reset can be shortened if you have custom work done.  There are two points on the beavertail area of the pistol that will wear a little skin off over a multi-day pistol course.  The safety notches in the slide have a sharp point that will catch you occasionally when racking the slide.  Supposedly a few people get hammer bite, but this has never happened to me or anyone I know.

The other "bad" point is that it becomes your standard when evaluating other pistols.
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 4:58:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Its the only piece I depend my life with, GET the real McCoy.
GG
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 5:10:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 5:36:22 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
The best part would have to be the fine single action trigger pull. The worse part would be the availablity and price. They're not safe enough for use in California and I wasn't fast enough to get one in the collection when they were still safe.

The CZ is a Browning-like design.

Not true Paul. You just can't buy a new one. It is totally legal to buy one from a private party. You just need a FFL to do the transfer and hold it for the 10 days. I just picked up my second HP friday. A nickel plated FN, Belgium made Browning HP. It's beautiful!
www.fnhipower.com/images/brhp2.jpg
Something I found out from my FFL when I made the purchase is that Cali's one handgun per 30 days does NOT apply to used handguns bought from private parties. Only handguns sold by FFLs.
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 5:46:12 PM EDT
[#11]
The Hi Power is a fantastic pistol, I have an FEG clone and the real deal.  The controls are just like the 1911 so if you like that, you'll like this.  I shoot mine more than any other centerfire pistol (mostly because 9mm is relatively cheap, but also because I love these guns).  On both of them the mag safety has been removed.

Oh, and sorry Green Furniture, off topic for a moment, Dave Mustaine is a gun control communist.  He could have done us all a favor and died of one of his many drug overdoses a long time ago.  Megadeth is the Lorcin of the metal world . . .
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 5:57:46 PM EDT
[#12]
In my collection I have just a few firearms that I will not part with.  One is my Super Blackhawk .44 mag., my Security Six I purchased 20 yrs ago and my HP.  On each of these, you pull the trigger and the bullet goes where you point.  I have a Belgian made HP in matte black with fixed sights.  The only thing I have ever done was to polish the mag safety where it meets the mag.  I have had this for about seventeen years.  I am one of the guys building the Sig 228 and am amazed how sleek the HP is when holding both.  If you can get a good one you will not be sorry.
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 6:04:29 PM EDT
[#13]
As far as 9mm goes it is the best IMHO. I had   a Browning High Power Practical. But when I decided to by a AR15 I had to sell something in order to come up with the cash. So I had to decide between the High Power or my Colt Combat Elite. To be honest 9mm to 45 there is no comparison.
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 7:41:33 PM EDT
[#14]
I really like the HP. I'm a SIG crazed guy but I like my HP.
I picked it up from AIM a couple of years ago. The Isreali (?) police used it. It's made by FN
and it's a Mark 3. Some scrapes but internally like new. My Armorer said less that 500 rounds had been shot with it. I have it around a lot of the time. You can get 19 round ?GI mags at CDNN for $20. Made to FN speck on their machinery.

FN not FH.
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 10:04:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 10:57:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Great Gun, for custom work see - Kurt Wickmann he did a fantastic job on mine (and many others) while he was still at Novak's, and is now out on his own www.kwgw.com
Link Posted: 2/11/2002 8:48:32 AM EDT
[#17]
The 2 BEST Single Action 9mm Semi-Automatic Handguns are the Browning High Power AND the Sig P210.

Probably the BEST High Power is the Mark III.

You can also get a Browning High Power chambered for 40 S&W or have a Smith Convert your 40 S&W High Power to .357 Sig.
Link Posted: 2/11/2002 9:11:11 AM EDT
[#18]
  I'm saving up enough Bones to buy an HP in 40 S&W, does anyone have one.
I already have a 1911 so I figured 10+1 in a gun that feels that good should suit me fine.
Thanx

Link Posted: 2/11/2002 4:28:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Just wondered if anyone has some good and bad points on them? Also are the knock-off brands any good and which ones are worth a look?/quote]

There are NO bad points to a HP.  >gg< The mag safety can easily be disconnected by a gunsmith. The balance is just unbelieveable, almost as good as sex. Sigh.
I use my HP in IDPA & it's always the only one there. It's fun to out-shoot so many Glocks. >gg<
FWIW, my HP is the Practical model, the two-tone version. Of all my firearms, the HP is one of the few I'll never sell. Hi-cap mags are easily available at $15-20 each, non-factory of course.
I have large, but not beefy, hands & have never once had hammer bite on any gun much less the HP. And I have never heard from a dissatisfied HP owner.
Buy it!!!!
Link Posted: 2/11/2002 5:59:11 PM EDT
[#20]
You want itty-bitty criticisms?

The mags don't drop free (at least mine don't, and I don't have a mag safety either).

You can get hammer bite from the ring hammer, I have gotten a very mild case before.

One time I wasn't holding the gun properly and my left thumb came to rest on the mag release and I accidentally released it during a string of fire.  Oops!  Guess that's what training's for . . .

Link Posted: 2/11/2002 6:21:39 PM EDT
[#21]
The Hi-power is a good pistol to own. The mag safety does drag on the mag body so it does not drop free like most autos. However, it could be solved by deactivating it. In addition, the mag safety system does produce a heavy trigger pull around eight pounds for a single action pistol.
Link Posted: 2/11/2002 6:29:47 PM EDT
[#22]
The Browning Hi-Power is one of the very best 9mm. I like it so much that I have three of them. Another great “single action only” 9mm is the CZ 75 B SA. It is hard to find but it is far cheaper than the Browning Hi-Power.
Regards,
FRIZ
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 7:31:53 PM EDT
[#23]
I have a Browning Hi Power Practical Model and love it!  It is perhaps the most ergonomically correct pistol that I have ever shot.  You simply point it and it hits where you point it.  The only reason that I don't shoot it as much as I use to is because when I bought my Kimber 1911, I became a 1911 addict and .45 ACP afficionado.  Atleast I have one of each and don't have to worry about not having one or the other!
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 5:07:37 AM EDT
[#24]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top