Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/9/2002 9:17:07 PM EDT
I just got an SP1 and was looking at the bolt carrier.  Unfortunately I don't have picture capability but I'll do my best to describe... It looks like a cross between an M16 and an AR one.  At the back, intstead of going 3/4 of the way around like an AR, it goes all the way around, like an M16 one.  However, on the M16 ones I've seen, it is a full circle for almost two inches.  On mine, it is a full circle for only about a half inch.  What's up with that?  Which (AR or M16) is it and why is short like that?
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 10:28:21 PM EDT
[#1]
sounds like a noncolt ar to me, any other advise??
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 10:35:32 PM EDT
[#3]
It could very well be a Colt.  If it does not have the notches in the right side for the forward assist, then it is the proper SP1 bolt carrier.

I beleive all green label Colt guns had full circle carriers.  An SP1 is a green label.
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 10:44:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Ok.  I see it on the biggerhammer.net page.  Thanks Troy.  So it's a "later" SP1 bolt.  It does have the bolt assist notches.  Makes sense as the gun was made in the early eighties.  I guess it's one of those inbetween things they did for a while.  
Link Posted: 2/11/2002 11:00:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Colt, you got to love'um for all the things they do.
Link Posted: 2/11/2002 11:42:05 PM EDT
[#6]
I've got an all original SP-1 mfg'd in '78-79. The carrier is as you described...
It also has a "C" stamped on the LH side of the carrier...

Just my 2 cents...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top