Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/7/2002 12:56:22 PM EDT
What do you know about them?? All I know is that the trigger is different.Iam lookin at getting a low end 1911. The front runner is a Rock Island Armory 1911(page 38 shotgun news).Should I consider the ballester molina?
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 1:30:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 2:10:38 PM EDT
[#2]

I am lookin at getting a low end 1911.

How low end? I just bought a Springfield Mil-Spec 1911-A1 for $469.

Link Posted: 2/7/2002 2:49:58 PM EDT
[#3]
The BM is not any sort of 1911. The only part that will interchange is the magazine. If all you need is a "tackle box" type-gun they are OK but there are no accessories. As CockedandLocked says, you might want to look at the Argentine Sistema Colts. I've had three and all have been outstanding. They're forged from good steel, all 1911 parts interchange and they are genuine military/police guns. All of mine have been matching numbers, under $300 bucks and best of all C&R eligible.
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 4:01:09 PM EDT
[#4]
I like the Ballester, I paid about $200 for one around 6 years ago.  It reliably goes boom, although it looks rude and crude.  I just hope it never breaks because I don't know where I would get parts for it . . .
Link Posted: 2/8/2002 5:56:30 AM EDT
[#5]
I picked up one at a gunshow 2 years ago for $180.  It was my first 1911.  I like it.  It shoots nicely, though not as accurately as my Kimber.  For a starter 45acp, I don't think you can go wrong.  Just look at it before you buy it, so you can see what condition it is in.
Link Posted: 2/8/2002 6:33:33 AM EDT
[#6]
I would'nt reccomend a Ballester as a FIRST .45 auto, but as a second, or a "fun" gun, they are fine.

The 1911 Barrels drop in with little to no fitting , I'm running a WW2 vintage High Standard made tube in mine presently..

Also, some 1911 pattern mags may fit hard in the well, an example would be the older lanyard loop mags..

Considering the low cost, they are also an inexpensive way to practice gunsmithing, without ruining a more expensive frame, or slide..

Meplat-
Link Posted: 2/8/2002 8:59:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/8/2002 11:16:17 AM EDT
[#8]
My "Ballerina Molester" is the most accurate .45 I own.  It was an arsenal refinished model, and I recall paying $190 or so for it a few years ago.  

If you can get over the fact that it is not a Colt, it is a good gun.  

The steel is a bit too soft to do any kind of frame/slide tightening, and the only 1911 parts that will interchange are the barrel and mag.
Link Posted: 2/8/2002 1:56:02 PM EDT
[#9]
I agree that you shouldn't get it as your first 1911 pistol. I would save up the little extra and get a modern factory pistol. You should be able to find a basic 1911 in the $450-$500 range.
That said, I bought a Systema and for around $300 its a nice little gun. The only drawbacks to it are the incredibly heavy trigger (12+ pounds) and the crappy sights. Of course on a 1911 style pistol these are the 2 most important things that deal with practical accuracy. That's why I would stear away from these bargain pistols as a first gun.
Link Posted: 2/8/2002 4:06:22 PM EDT
[#10]
I just read that SGN 1911 article, on cheap 1911s.  I find it hard to believe every one of those guns worked so well.  I have heard bad things about a couple of them.  Sounds like gun rag schmoozing to me.  Or else the guy didn't put enough rounds through it, or a jam once in awhile doesn't bother him.

I would be surprised if I could get through 1K rounds on a Firestorm or and Auto-Ord (certainly a pre-Kahr Auto Ord) before something breaks.
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 12:29:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks guys!!  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top