Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/7/2002 8:51:09 AM EDT
Anyone used the .40 MP5? Benefits of .40 MP5 over 9mm?
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 10:07:11 AM EDT
[#1]
It all depends on what type of ammo you're planning on using. We had to specify either full power loads; like the 165gr. Corbons OR low-impulse loads like the Federal personal defense loads. HK will simply change the bolt-head & rollers. I think they have a different size and/or angle on them. Either way, the full power loads make more sense and you can really tell the difference down-range.

You'll also get the clear polymer mags, which from what I hear will soon be going to metal mags for all 10mm & 40cal.

As far as teminal performance, its defenitely there. At 100 yards, the 9mm feels real weak; while the 40cal hits with real force.

BUT, do yourself a favor, get the 45cal UMP. Its a real sweet shooter.
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 1:17:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Speaking of the UMP .45, they need to make a 50 round Beta C-mag for it. Think about it, this could be the next generation Tommy Gun with a 50 round C-mag! Wouldn't that me friggin cool? I only say 50 vs. 100 rounds cause of weight.

themao
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 4:39:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Kind of a moot point, since you can't get MP5's in .40 anymore.
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 6:56:19 PM EDT
[#4]
I've trained with the MP-5, MP-40, and UMP40. IMHO I much prefer the original. The MP-5 was originally designed to be a CQB and hostage rescue weapon. It was damned near perfect for it then and I think it still is. It's portable, reliable, and compact. It was never designed to take the place of the rifle or carbine. The .45 is a great cartridge but is not the answer at 100 yards anymore than the 9 or 40. If the bad guys are wearing body armor the 40 or 45 will do no better and in some cases worse than the 9. The idea is to put multiple rounds on target as quickly and accurately as possible. That is easier with the 9 than the 40 or 45. I did'nt like the UMP at all with the mickey mouse plastic sites, it did not impress me. Don't take this personally, it's just 1 persons opinion, but it's honest.
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 7:08:36 PM EDT
[#5]
I wouldn't mind having either of them
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 7:23:13 PM EDT
[#6]
I wish I could own a MP5/10mm

10mm seems like the perfect carbine cartridge
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 10:18:48 PM EDT
[#7]
I would like to see an MP5 in .357Sig. That would be a hot little carbine.
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 10:20:32 PM EDT
[#8]
I saw today that they don't list anything but 9mm on the website. I still have an LE catalog from a couple years ago.
Link Posted: 2/8/2002 4:38:27 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I saw today that they don't list anything but 9mm on the website. I still have an LE catalog from a couple years ago.

They ditched the 10mm and .40cal MP5s when the UMP was released.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top