Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/5/2002 8:56:57 AM EDT
What is the best way to do this?  Can I just use high rings........do I need a riser........or what?  I am not asking for the best way, but the best economical way.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 9:03:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Colt makes a one piece for mounting a regular scope, believe Armalite and Bushy have similar.

For red dots or CQB type scopes, check here www.armsmounts.com/list.html, SWFA is onsite and has many types of mounting systems ......

Really depends on what type of scope you have in mind.

Mike
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 9:07:36 AM EDT
[#2]
I used a 1 piece Armalite mount with 1" rings. Its designed with just the right amount of rise to get the optical center over the front sight. Its removeable and, from my experience at least is holds zero well. Then I added a Leupold scope.

See model EX0027 in the attached link
www.armalite.com/sales/catalog/components/mounts_rings.htm
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 4:12:17 PM EDT
[#3]
The best riser in my opinion is the Arms#5. but it isn't cheap.  Yeah if your using a scope with a smaller lens you can probably get away with using just the high mount rings. Rock river makes a one piece scope mount as well, the little that I have used it, it seems to work well, and is less expensive than the armalite mount. It also seem to hold its zero when detached and reattached.
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 4:44:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Easiest way is to just go buy a set of Weaver see-threw rings.  You are looking for a 1" Weaver base mount, non slanted model.   You can order them from Brownells in mat finish, or just go to Wally world and pick them up in blue. The price should be around $20.

If you can find the old Tasco mounts, then pick up two pairs.  The Weavers are steel, but the Tasco are aluminum.  I have been running both set-up for over 10 years and never had a problem with them.  Plus, it looks a lot cleaner that most of the one piece riser mounts.
And, the four mount Tasco rifle looks evil as Hell!!!

www.brownells.com    Product # 955-495-230
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 5:37:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 5:54:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Best and cheapest is what Dano said, Weaver see-through rings.  Rock solid, 2 screws per ring, can adjust to fit any scope and eye relief and gives plenty of rise. $15.00 or so.

Don't waste your money on all those other gimmicks.
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 6:00:01 PM EDT
[#7]
I have an ASA scope mount which works. An another setup I have is the mini risers from Bushmaster which also works.
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 6:15:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Armalite scope mount.  Super sturdy, awesome mount.  Dont have to worry about bumping the scope off.

I have a set of see-thru's on my 30/30, and while they do the job, the scope has gotten knocked off with slight bumps.

On my AR, I want to be able to depend on it, and begin a flat-top, it is nice to be able to re-attached with very minimal loss of zero.  Try that with your cheap rings.
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 6:20:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Those see-through rings are FUGLY, and look particularly out of place on an evil black rifle.  I wound up buying a riser from Brownell's, and attached the rings to that.

The problem is not clearing the front sight, because most scopes will throw that out of focus anyway.  The problem is getting the scope high enough for proper cheek weld and to clear the scope bells from the rifle.

Link Posted: 2/6/2002 5:50:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Armalite gets my nod also.. height just right and returns to zero as stated by others.

Also have an ASA on 16" bull flat-top.. quality mount, however, height does not allow good cheek weld to standard stock.

To AR18; what are your comments or suggestions on ASA mount?.. did you go to a delta cheek piece or other? Thanks!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top