Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/31/2002 11:28:32 AM EDT
In my line of business there is a saying… “Best to prevent the error rather than handle it.”  This saying applies to just about anything, not just software engineering.  As far as I can tell, gunlocks are to prevent people that are handling the firearm from misusing it.  Well, why would someone that would misuse a firearm be handling it in the first place?  I would guess if you properly stored your firearm in a locked metal box of some kind at your home and while you are transporting them, there should not be a problem of people trying to misuse them because they won’t have access to them in the first place?  I guess that gunlocks are easer to defeat than a locked storage container as well.  What do you guys think?
- Dustin
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 11:55:34 AM EDT
[#1]
A gun lock also will not keep it from being stolen.  They are easy to remove and some will allow the gun to be loaded.   I don’t like them.
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 12:01:13 PM EDT
[#2]
/ranton

Gunlocks are liberal wacko PC BS ...

/rantoff

It has been proven (tested) that gun locks can be defeated by teen and pre-teen children given minimal tools and time.

Even master lock recalled a bunch of these moronic devices due to defects.

Anyone who believes that they should keep a gunlock of some sort on their primary home defense weapon should be ready to become a statistic.

Even one of these sheet metal homak cabinets makes more sense - the whole out of sight out of mind applies for children and theives.  Unless you are hit by more than a snatch and grab a sheet metal cabinet is plenty of protection.

{edited because one would think that a college degree included spelling}

Ryan
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 12:27:32 PM EDT
[#3]
A joke, pure and simple.
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 12:44:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Chances are, if the kid has access to the gun unattended, they can also find the key.  Honestly, how many of you guys that use trigger locks have every single key to the lock either on you, within your sight, or outside of the house at all times?  If you leave the gun and child unattended with the key in the house, you shouldn't feel secure.

Also, I don't know what kind of kids these liberals have, but the ones I've helped raise see a lock as a challenge that must be beaten.  The thought of, for example, my eight year-old great-nephew, seeing something locked from him scares me.  He is clever, and he will find a way around it.  I've found that boring a kid with details about a gun is much more effective deterrent than telling them "guns are bad, don't touch."  I tell them not to touch them, then I explain how it works and the physics behind it.  Works every time.  I didn't teach him to fear the gun (like a liberal would).  I taught him it's something not for him and something not that interesting (yet).z
Link Posted: 2/1/2002 12:28:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Yes, on of my new guns came with a cable lock.  A cheap set of wire cutters will do the trick.
Link Posted: 2/4/2002 5:10:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Well.....

They could be true, but since since security is an issue, they probably are false.
Link Posted: 2/4/2002 5:32:44 PM EDT
[#7]
How about the trigger lock on my 10/22 that if you cock the rifle and pull back on the lock it fires, talk about false sense of security the rifle won't fire its got a trigger lock, BAM.
Link Posted: 2/4/2002 6:07:42 PM EDT
[#8]
trigger locks are a poor choice.  Faster access and better protection for kids can be had from a safe.  I heard about this cool one which has an indentation which is shaped like your hand.  You put you hand in it and the buttons are under your fingers.  No keys for kids to find or you to fumble with, easy to use in the dark and fast to boot.  If you have to use such a device, that is the way to go.  I don't know who makes that safe though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top