Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/30/2002 1:02:44 PM EDT
Part I:
What sort of hearing protection does everybody use? Does anybody else have any problems with earmuff style hearing protections getting in the way of the stock of the rifle?

Part II:
What sort of hearing protection (if any) do cops/operators/etc. doing SWAT type entry work and CQB use?

Thanks in advance.

Link Posted: 1/30/2002 1:10:27 PM EDT
[#1]
I just use regular pre-shaped foam ear plugs---usually, the Howard Leight Max brand that has a NRR of 33.  They are cheap and do the job of protecting my hearing. Muffs get in the way too much for me---especially when shooting trap.
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 1:15:32 PM EDT
[#2]
plugs or muffs, whichever i remember to bring. i prefer plugs. ive even used cigarette filters in a pinch.
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 1:15:49 PM EDT
[#3]
I use both the foam type ear plugs and My Peltor Ultimate 10 for inside range use. When Outdoors I use just the Ultimate 10. They are rated at 29db reduction and are very comfortable- I recommend them to any who are looking for a good set.
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 2:26:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Ear plugs right now.  I'm toying with the idea of muffs for added protection.
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 2:31:05 PM EDT
[#5]
I both ear plugs and ear muffs.  But sometimes when I use plugs one falls out and you don't know it.  Peltor makes a special low-profile muff that won't interfere with the buttstock, I forget what the number is, its a slim-liine version of their bigger version.
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 2:39:03 PM EDT
[#6]
I prefer ear plugs for relatively short periods of time(a few hours). For a two day match(IDPA) I prefer muffs as the plugs tend to irritate my ear canals if I wear them that long.

I tried a pair of electronic muffs several months ago. I actually didn't care for them as I preferred not to hear a great deal of background noise. I feel like I can concentrate on my shooting better with standard ear muffs. Tactically, this may not be good thing. Cost aside, does anyone else prefer the standard ear muffs? Just curious.

docmac86
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top