Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/30/2002 12:52:51 PM EDT
New buyer likes this forum alot.  I am anxiously awaiting the return of my CCW permit.  Just was wondering what type of handgun to choose. I have shot 9mm, 40cal and 357, just wondering what caliber i should start with.  i would prefer a glock, compact either 9mm or .40cal.  Also wondering what is a good reliable ar-15 type rifle for between $500- $800.  thanks
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 1:04:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Well, these are VERY personal choices, and I'm sure many will have different opinions. That said, I would recommend the G23 or G23c .40 Pistol. Mine has been very reliable and they are very simple to maintain. If you want a 9mm go with the G19 or G19c.
On the AR front, you have limited yourself from Colt by the price restriction, so go with a Bushmaster. You should be able to find several versions in that price range, and they are well made and reliable weapons.

Take time to learn about whatever you decide to purchase and read as much as you can before you buy. Once you own the weapons plan on training (with a professional or by yourself)until you are very comfortable with the gun, and can reliably hit the target. Training is very important, second only to safety.
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 1:20:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Grock Thanks for the info, im sure it will come in handy.  I have been researching all over the place, now just need the permit.
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 1:25:01 PM EDT
[#3]
shoot every gun you you can that interests you. those you like, shoot again. get the ones that feel best.

personally, i'd suggest a 1911 in 45acp, and build your own ar.
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 3:14:25 PM EDT
[#4]
The choice of ones sidearm is something that should be given great thought and should never be based solely on outside recommendations no matter where they come from. The best thing that I can suggest is for go to your local range and rent as many handguns as you can in order to test fire them for yourself. Make no caliber, make, or model exclusions. Shoot all the guns that appeal to you. Narrow you choices down to what you shoot best and what feels comfortable to you; give those models further investigation. After deciding on a particular firearm nothing is more important that proper training, instruction, and practice. A fight is no place not to know what you are doing; if the event occurs you need to have trained for it. Don't be one of these guys who buys a gun, puts it on their hip, and automatically thinks they're safe.

If a Glock is what interests you my recommendation would be to stick with the 9mm guns. I have seen first hand the battering these guns suffer when chambered in .40 S&W. The design excels in the 9mm chambering but suffers when chambered in large heavy kicking calibers. Like everything else you should investigate this for yourself before making any decision. Let me know if you need more elaboration.

Link Posted: 1/30/2002 3:31:55 PM EDT
[#5]
The Glock G27 in 40 caliber is a fine weapon. I have one with the Pearce + 1 pinky extension, and also have the G33 357 sig BBl to drop in for it . Both shoot very well, conceal very well and have never had a FTF or FTE.

I also have a G30 in 45ACP that is awesome. It is as reliable and accurate as my other one.

I have heard the Kahr and Sig 239 are good ccw choices as well.

If you can shoot one or rent one first go for it. I was not that lucky as no ranges in my area rent weapons.
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 4:59:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Glock 19 and Bushey Dissipater 16..  Although the Colts I have seen in the past few weeks are a bit cheaper...   Still prefer the Bushmaster (more adaptable, using other AR 15 parts is not a problem)...  You can't beat a Glock 19 for feel and concealability
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 5:41:48 PM EDT
[#7]
If this handgun is going to be used primarily for CCW, the best advice is to buy a handgun you are comfortable with, is properly sized to conceal well, is the type which you will spend hours practicing with, etc.  The coolest pistol in the world is useless as a CCW weapon if it is not something you will always carry and become proficient with.  Any of the "compact" handguns made by the bigger named companies are designed with CCW in mind.  They tend to be a compromise of size, shootability, and power.  You really can't go wrong with a Glock, Beretta, SigSauer, or Heckler & Koch compact.  I've owned three of those four myself (no H&K yet) and my personal favorite is the mid-sized Glock (19/23/32).  The others are just as good for the most part, my Glock 32 .357 just happens to fit me better and consequently I can use it more effectively, and that is key.  Strictly personal preference.  

As for caliber, again, choose one you will become proficient with.  There is no significant difference in antipersonnel effectiveness between a good 9mm, .40 S&W, .357 Sig, .45 ACP, 10mm, etc.  You have to consider ammo cost and availability for hour after hour of practice.  This is where the 9mm shines.  It is found anywhere you shop, it is relatively cheap, and it is easy to master due to its milder recoil, enabling longer practice sessions.  If you shop around though, the other calibers can be had for only a little more money.

The questions you want to ask yourself when shopping for a CCW gun:

1) Is this gun small and comfortable enough that I will regularly carry it?  The nicest handgun in the world is useless as a CCW gun if it's left at home in the drawer.

2) What caliber can I afford to buy lots and lots of practice ammunition to become proficient?  Practice, practice, practice!

3) What gun fits my hand well enough that I won't lose interest in using it, therefore not practicing enough?  (See #2 above)

For the AR question, in your price range you really can't beat a post-ban Bushmaster.  They are top of the line and can be had for less than $800.

And lastly, welcome to AR15.com.  It's incredible how much you'll learn here.

Link Posted: 1/30/2002 6:01:55 PM EDT
[#8]
HK USP40c , Colt Officer. Bushmaster
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 6:16:38 PM EDT
[#9]
I suggest a Glock for reliability the 23 are nice and in the 23c it is very accurate from a draw. I carry a Glock 19c in a Fobus Paddle Holster. Now I know its really not a true Concealed weapon but if fits weighs and reacts proper for me. Did you have a CCW before or is this one you applied for and waiting. If it isn't carry what you carried and go to the range. The only thing with a Glock is being VERY careful if carrying chambered. Don't believe what they say about the safety.  It only works if you don't press just right on the trigger. When I carry I do not keep a round in the chamber for now. I also keep the trigger in the fired position. This way I have to pull and cock which lines me up for what I might have to shoot at. Until I become proficient I will deal with it. I know allot of you thinks that is stupid. Some times just the site will cool things down and you not becoming a lunatic. If you stay calm while the weapon is shown then drawn it could do allot more than having to pull it and take some idiot’s life. Trust me you don’t want to go that route unless you are very sure and there are witnesses to back your story up.  TRUST me.
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 6:27:23 PM EDT
[#10]
You could get a Glock in the 40/357 caliber. At least, you have an option to use two different calibers. For the AR15 rifle, you can get them used or new for that price range you have quoted. Almost all AR brands are good. I would go with Rock River, Bushmaster, Armalite/Eagle Arms, or Olympic Arms. Colt, you are just buying the name for that price.
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 6:35:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 6:39:49 PM EDT
[#12]
MP5,

If you are in the Houston area, I would be glad to take you out shooting so you can decide what you like.
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 7:38:32 PM EDT
[#13]
For CCW purposes the gun should be very comfortable for you, small enough to conceal well and very reliable, it should also be in an effective caliber.

Probably the best thing to do, is to go to a range and rent a variety of different handguns and see which one fits you the best.
Try to use the largest possible calibers that you can still handle and shoot well with.

Personally for CCW I like REVOLVERS because they are more reliable than a Semi-Auto and they are less complicated, so they are easier to use and train with.

But I realize that sometimes, personal or concealability issues may not make a revolver to be the best choice for you.

Here are some good CCW handguns that you might want to try.

Revolvers
Ruger SP101 ( a .357 5 shot revolver) Heavy but the gun can shoot full power 357 loads for the rest of your life and not wear out.
Taurus Model 605CH and 650
Smith and Wesson Model 649

Pistols

Sig P239 (comes in 9mm or 40 SW or 357 Sig)
Sig P229 (a little larger than the 239) These shoot REALLY nice.
Springfield Armory Ultra Compact V10 (comes in 45 ACP) This is a ported Sub Compact 1911. They shoot VERY nice.

I would mention Glocks..but unfortunately..a lot of them have been self disentigrating lately..such as this Glock 30 that one AR15.com poster had..

Link Posted: 1/31/2002 11:13:41 AM EDT
[#14]
So far pretty fair advise, but I would be careful carrying a firearm (for the specified intent of personal defense) in a less than ready manner. If your intent is to have a firearm on your person, in the event that you may have to depend on it in a lethal confrontation, carrying without a round chambered is a very bad idea. You have now made yourself an even easier target and have given your opponent yet another advantage. Advantage is what we cannot afford an opponent in a fight, don't give him the upper hand. Be ready, not just mentally but physically and that includes ones weapon.

Fights begin and end in the blink of an eye. No matter how alert one is or how strictly one adheres to Cooper's "Color Code" there will not be time to charge a weapon. If ones intend is to depend on his sidearm in a fight it better be ready to use at a moments notice. The vast array of unknown variables in a fight deem it necessary for one carry weapon ready to use. If you are accosted by one or more individuals and the support side hand is busy blocking punches or pushing away an assailant or catching ones self as they are tackled the support hand will not be free to make a weapon ready.

Additionally if the fight starts with one being shot in either of the upper appendages one will have to depend on the gun being ready in order to return fire. A great disservice is done to ones state of readiness and ability to win a fight if it takes any extra unneeded actions in order to begin fighting.

The best cure for any apprehension concerning the carry or use of a weapon is proper training. If you need extra confidence not only in your abilities but also the abilities and safety of your weapon; instruction, training, and rigorous practice are surefire ways to achieve this. There are no substitutes for these three and that includes putting ones self at a disadvantage in exchange for only perceived safety.

As far as the sight of a gun ending a confrontation, that is a tactical misnomer at best. One should never draw their gun unless it is absolutely unavoidable and is prepared to use it. The sight of a firearm can just as easily escalate a potentially lethal confrontation as it can settle one. If one is not prepared to use a gun in defense of ones life, or the life on an innocent third party, leave the gun in the holster. Or better yet at home.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top