Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 1/30/2002 10:14:14 AM EDT
I am thinking of buying a 870 police magnum( is that the correct name model?). My question is does the police model come with that stupid saftey lock? If so can it be replaced with a over sized saftey to get rid of the lock? Thanks
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 10:50:22 AM EDT
I'm not sure if the newest ones come with the new lock, but I understand that the safety can be changed to a non-safety "big head" safety no problem if it is the new kind.
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 3:58:18 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 2:38:55 AM EDT
One of these showed up on an issue police weapon where I work the other day (turned in as "it won't work"). We were puzzled and had never seen the new safeties. I had the whole thing explained to me by Remington Customer Service. All Remington 870s made after December 2000 will have the new locking safety. The safety can be locked, using a propeitary "J" key, into a non-firing position, or locked into non-firing and used as a push-buton safety in the old manner. There is no option to get the old saftey on a new Remington, even for the Police Magnum.

They did ship us a free "J" key and some other unrelated parts for free and I got them within a week. I have neen too busy to mess with it yet, so there is still a dissambled Remington on my desk.
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 5:35:12 AM EDT
I ran into the J safety key on Rem. 700 in .308. I thought something was wrong until I actually read the book. So, after reading ,playing, and understanding I put the safety in the off position, and promtly threw away the J keys.
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 6:48:00 AM EDT
thanks guys!
Top Top