Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/30/2002 5:47:05 AM EDT
and does anyone in michigan know a local gunshop or gunsmith that carries them?
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 5:56:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Fulton Armory used to have info on their website about an adjustable gas valve setup they do.  Haven't been there in a while but you might look them up.
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 6:05:34 AM EDT
[#2]
yeah i was going to order from them untill i noticed they charge shipping by price, not weight. which is shitty when your buying things that weight absolutly nothing
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 6:08:06 AM EDT
[#3]
One question - WHY?

If you need one, you have other problems that should be fixed.  The adjustable gas tube is a bandaid.

Note - this doesn't apply for "space guns" or match shooting, where special ammo might need this feature.
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 6:17:02 AM EDT
[#4]

it is not a band-aid!

i have to much gas pressure, which will cause short stroking.
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 6:19:13 AM EDT
[#5]

I think JP makes them.  Try doing a search at Brownell's website or look up the JP Enterprises website.
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 6:40:28 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

it is not a band-aid!

i have to much gas pressure, which will cause short stroking.

Are you talking about your gun, or........

If you have too much gas pressure, FIX the problem.  Is your port too big?  Fix it.  Wrong ammo?  Fix it.

This IS a band-aid approach, IMHO.
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 6:44:16 AM EDT
[#7]
I have the Fulton Armory one, and it seems to work fine.

As to the "why" i guess for teh same reasons the FAL comes standard with an adjustable gas system.

1. To adjust the gas to the minimum amount needed to reliably cycle the rifle, minimizing wear and tear.

2. To gain the accuracy advantages of a single shot rifle by turning the gas off, eliminating the negative effects the semi-auto cycling of the rifle has on accuracy.

3. Becasue I can.

Link Posted: 1/30/2002 7:15:46 AM EDT
[#8]
too much gas pressure causes short stroking?, i have never heard this before
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 7:18:06 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
1. To adjust the gas to the minimum amount needed to reliably cycle the rifle, minimizing wear and tear.

So when the rifle gets dirty/muddy and it quits working you have to stop and adjust the gas pressure?  I hope your not using the rifle for anything IMPORTANT.

2. To gain the accuracy advantages of a single shot rifle by turning the gas off, eliminating the negative effects the semi-auto cycling of the rifle has on accuracy.

Considering well made Match AR-15 SEMI-AUTOS have shot 1/4" groups at 200 yards - I don't think I'll need any such 'advantage' - however the FAL needs every advantage it can get (don't get me wrong I like FALs - but accurate rifles they are not).

3. Becasue I can.

Probably the most 'logical' reason <G>.  However its more parts, costs, and uneeded complexity.
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 8:04:39 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
So when the rifle gets dirty/muddy and it quits working you have to stop and adjust the gas pressure?  I hope your not using the rifle for anything IMPORTANT.

No, never had to stop and adjust the gas pressure.

But then ANY rifle that gets dirty /muddy to the point of not  cycling will require a stoppage.

My point was that for normal operating conditions (I haven't been in a full firefight in say , oh, NEVER) the gas tube reduces gas pressure, and minimizes wear and tear.

I know people LOVE talking about tactical conditions and SHTF scenarios, but that is NOT where the vast majority of us live. Most of us are just plinkers, and as such, I'll take any advantage I can to PRESERVE MY EQUIPMENT.

If I ever go into battle, I'll just open the gas up all the way. It takes approx. two whole seconds.

And the allen wrench fits in teh buttstock.

Considering well made Match AR-15 SEMI-AUTOS have shot 1/4" groups at 200 yards - I don't think I'll need any such 'advantage' - however the FAL needs every advantage it can get (don't get me wrong I like FALs - but accurate rifles they are not).

1/4" at 200 yards??? I'd like to see that.

But then, you are switching horses mid-stream.(You were speaking of dirty / muddy conditions above. NOT a place I would take my match rifle)

My gas tube is NOT on a match rifle - its on my carbine, which like the FAL is a battle rifle.

And ALL battle rifles need every accuracy advantage they can get.

BTW, on this carbine of mine, I also free floated the barrel.
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 8:33:50 AM EDT
[#11]
I have used JP gas blocks which happen to have an adjustable feature with good results.   I have just locktited the adjustment screw at full open since I was not interested in experimenting with the gas flow.  Their product would probably do what you want.  No comment from me if adjusting the gas flow has any practical place on a AR15.  Watch-Six  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top