Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/29/2002 3:30:21 PM EDT

Last month I purchased a Kahr P-40.  Took it to the range, and with each and every shot the magazine dropped out of the gun.  Returned it to the factory for warranty work last year.  Well I still hadn't got it back, so today I called them and apparently they are having this problem with a LARGE number of their P-40's.  They have a manufacturing process error that incorrectly forms the magazine well.  They have been unable to solve this problem and are still making guns with this error.  Kahr has very little to no factory testing or inspection (read no quality assurance) of their firearms before shipping them out - they don't even shoot them with mag's in them.  So if you buy a Kahr P-40 there is a very great likelihood that it will have this defect.  Now the only solution I have is they are going to replace the frame which means I get a new serial number.  So they have to send it back to my gun shop.  I have to now go back in and re-do all the paper work.  Wait for the FBI check, and then go back to the police station - stand in line for three hours -and re-register the damn thing.  Save yourselves, don't buy one.  If you have a P-40 that doesn't have this problem, your one of the lucky few - although the odds are your magazine well is still incorrectly manufactured.  Kahr has no idea how to stop this problem.  They don't even know when they'll be able to return my pistol to me.  Save yourselves from this terriffic pain in the ass.   DONT BUY THIS FIREARM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Please refresh this post as necessary.
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 3:34:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Kahr's are crap, buy a Glock!

ROCK ON!
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 3:37:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Wouldn't this be covered under the "warentee work" exemption? If it is because of the Serial number change tell them to put the old serial number on the good frame and destroy the old frame.
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 3:47:07 PM EDT
[#3]
We can go round and round on this subject.  In the end you will find good Kahr's and good Glock's.  You will find crappy Kahr's and crappy Glock's.  I think that each user should determine what is best for them.  I am concerned to hear about the mis-formed mag wells.  I was planning on buying a K40 and a P40 this year to go with my K9 and P9, now I'll wait.  Sorry to hear about your troubles Sitting Bull and I hope Kahr takes care of you.  In the past I have dealt with Frank Harris when I have had problems or questions.
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=90326
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 3:50:36 PM EDT
[#4]

Originally Posted By Sitting Bull:

Last month I purchased a...  Returned it last year. ... so today I called them

huh?
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 3:56:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Screw the Glock, get a Sig
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 3:56:43 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
We can go round and round on this subject.  In the end you will find good Kahr's and good Glock's.  You will find crappy Kahr's and crappy Glock's.  I think that each user should determine what is best for them.  I am concerned to hear about the mis-formed mag wells.  I was planning on buying a K40 and a P40 this year to go with my K9 and P9, now I'll wait.  Sorry to hear about your troubles Sitting Bull and I hope Kahr takes care of you.  In the past I have dealt with Frank Harris when I have had problems or questions.

No you will only find crappy Kahr's!
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 4:06:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Not true
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 4:37:22 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Gotta agree.  I bought one sometime in early '98 (if memory serves me correctly), and sold it with two months after handling my first Glock.  Never looked back.

Cloak-

No you will only find crappy Kahr's!

Link Posted: 1/29/2002 5:41:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Bravo tango Tango
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 8:13:01 PM EDT
[#10]
I would insist that they serialize the new frame with the original number and destroy the old one.
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 8:42:21 PM EDT
[#11]
hey beachboy i don't think you will have any luck buying the p-40.  kel-tec no longer offers it! seems i must have bought the last one (going to be great if i ever need parts)...
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 1:57:04 AM EDT
[#12]
Kahr tells me the BATF won't allow them to put the same serial number on a different frame; regardless of whether or not they destroy the old frame.

TheRedGoat - Current month = Jan 2002
            Last month = Dec 2001
  therefore Lastmonth=Lastyear
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 3:44:10 AM EDT
[#13]
BATF has different rules for Kahr and Olympic?  How can that be?  
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 2:20:22 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
hey beachboy i don't think you will have any luck buying the p-40.  kel-tec no longer offers it! seems i must have bought the last one (going to be great if i ever need parts)...

What does a KelTec have to do with this conversation?
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 3:42:18 PM EDT
[#15]
btt
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 4:10:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Serves you right Pete for buying a POS. LOL
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 4:26:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Whaddaya want from Moonies?
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 5:48:21 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Screw the Glock, get a Sig

Yes!
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 5:40:21 AM EDT
[#19]
Moonies???  They did sound just a little weird on the phone - kinda that slow-motion brain-washed monotonal speech - strange people.  To not even test fire their pistols.  WTF!
Link Posted: 2/4/2002 6:31:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Bravo Tango Tango
Link Posted: 2/4/2002 9:23:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Federal laws say the factory can ship your firearm back to you after repair.Or a like one[model]if it cant be fixed.Serial number or not.If they say they cant there full of crap.
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 10:58:28 AM EDT
[#22]
Kahr says that they can't because the BATF won't allow for you to get a new serial numbered gun for which you didn't go through the FBI check and local registration.  Given the light of existing laws, it does seem to make some sense.  But, please tell me why it ain't so - and I'll call the company and tell them they're full of it.
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 11:31:23 AM EDT
[#23]
Kahrs are good pistols, authed for NYPD backup/offduty guns. yes kahr has had its share of qual problems. MK9 series had some come with grip screws that were a bit to long and scratched the mag. the K9 i have has been great. accurate (more than i am) so has my Sig226 9MM
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top