Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 1/28/2002 1:26:47 PM EDT
I just bought a Sig 220 from my brother. I only paid 300 for it. He used it when he worked for an armored car bank service. The gun has had less than 50rds fired through it and is in perfect working order. But it has been kept in a holster for 4 years and some of the blue on top has rubbed off.

Has anybody used Oxpho-Blue or any other cold blue product?
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 1:52:22 PM EDT

Has anybody used Oxpho-Blue or any other cold blue product?

Oxpho-Blue will work, but it will not match 100%. You'd be better off refinishing the slide. You can either use some sort of spray-on paint-type finish, or try your hand at hot-bluing, which can be done with some sort of outdoor stove and a metal pot.

Search rec.guns for a series of posts on "homemade bluing". There is a mixture of lye and ammonium nitrate that will produce a nice black finish that will be superior to any cold blue you'll find.
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 1:56:37 PM EDT
Get it blued quick and do it thoroughly. The slide on the P220 isn't a wonder-metal, it's cold rolled steel. It will rust and pit if you blink.
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 4:28:55 AM EDT
Sigs have notoriously poor bluing on their slides. Forget the cold blue; it’ll wear off pretty quickly.

I’d use Brownells Teflon/Moly myself. It’s a spray-on finish that has to be cured in an oven.

However, since it’s probably just the stripped slide that needs refinishing, having it commercially redone shouldn’t be too expensive. Black-T would be a great finish on your Sig.
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 4:31:44 AM EDT
The blueing on my 11 year old P226 wore off around the muzzle, and I didn't notice it. Before long, small pits formed in the rolled steel slide. I sent it to Mac's www.shootiniron.com and he GunKoted it. Looks new, even after 40,000+rnds. Consider having the entire gun refinished, if it needs it.
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 8:56:10 AM EDT
Thanks for the info. I will use the Oxpho-Blue for now since it only costs 5 bucks. In about two months when I can afford it I wiil have it GunKoted like SJSAMPLE has done.
Top Top