Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/28/2002 7:42:19 AM EDT
Hi all,

I was wondering if it was better and cheaper to build my own lower or just to buy a complete upper.

thanks
lojack
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 7:46:57 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Hi all,

I was wondering if it was better and cheaper to build my own lower or just to buy a complete upper.

thanks
lojack

Which do you want, a lower or an upper?

If you are asking whether to build a lower and buy an upper, OR buy a complete gun, I would recommend buying a complete gun for your first one.  Warranty, dependablity, etc....
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 7:51:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Do you walk to work or take your lunch?

Is it colder during the winter or in the mountains?

Link Posted: 1/28/2002 8:29:16 AM EDT
[#3]
I think it really depends on you.  In general here are you options

1 build a lower and buy a complete upper
2 build a lower and build an upper
3 buy a complete lower and a complete upper
4 buy a complete gun

If 3 and 4 are basically the same except you save a little in some taxes in having to pin the 2 pieces together.
I would not suggest number 2 for a new builder/new to ar's.
1 is relatively easy and what I am doing.  You save some money and you get to know how things work better.

But basically it comes down to your own preference.  If you don't like putting things together then it is definitely worth the money to buy a complete gun.

Joe
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 8:56:53 AM EDT
[#4]
sometimes i think that acid flash backs are not all they were hyped up to be. I was wondering if it was cheaper and better to build an upper or to just buy a complete upper?

thanks
lojack
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 9:57:56 AM EDT
[#5]
got the tools?

It's fun to build an upper, but you need a torque wrench, barrel or action vise, barrel wrench, etc....

Good tools to have, but an investment up front before you can "roll your own"
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 10:22:54 AM EDT
[#6]
I recomend you buy your first one. Then get the tools to do your own work. Punches, DPMS multi tool, Clamshell to hold upper etc... not to bad really. You will really save money in the long run, and you will get it when you want it, not when the gunsmith can get around to it.
Link Posted: 2/4/2002 4:25:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Get a parts kit and stripped lower.

This is how I built my first AR. Total cost to build an operating AR-15 was $395, which is alot lower than the $595 for a Plinker. You can assemble a brand new kit on a Brand New Stripped Lower for $495. I used SP1 Used Parts from a Pre-Ban for my $395 AR. Model1Sales sells brand new kits for $400. Lowers were $95 from Gunsmoke when I purchased mine. Guns-N-Stuff has Cast Oly Arms lowers for $80.

It is real easy to build except for installing the pivot pin detent.

Whenever Tapco brings back its M16 Kit, the price to build an AR should drop below $300. I figured out that with the Tapco kit, you could sell the M16 parts for exhorbitant prices on E-Bay and buy AR-15 parts cheaper. The result would be a $250 AR-15. But, you would need to either sell off the M16 parts or demill them. You also would need to not have an AR-15 Receiver on hand.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top