Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/28/2002 7:29:43 AM EDT
Has anyone seen the old black and white movie SGT. York?
I knew he was a WWII hero that received the Medal of Honor but I knew little else.

Man, what a great movie!
The action is realistic.  (no exploding sand bags or crap)
It’s nice to see an action movie with out some bizarre sex scene.
No unnecessary gore (do we have to see blood and meat in the bottom of a Jeep).
The people are real and the ending left me tear eyed.

We have forgotten how to make good movies.
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 7:34:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Sgt. Alvin York was a poor boy from Tennessee who fought in World War ONE. He used an 1917 US Enfield Rifle and an Colt 1911.

Here is a short Bio:

Born Alvin Cullium York, December 13, 1887, in Pall Mall, Tennessee.

His life was turned around by a woman, Gracie Williams, who convinced him to give up his worldly ways and go to church. Formed long held and firm religious beliefs as a result.

Drafted in 1917.
Impressed the regular army officers with his ability to use a gun. Shot accurately at ranges of 200, 300 and 500 yards. Struggled with the moral issue of killing human beings, and refused to shoot at human silhouettes (targets).

At the battle of the Argonne Forest in the fall of 1918, as a member of the 82nd division, he killed 25 Germans, knocked out 35 machine guns, and captured 132 prisoners almost single-handed.

Recieved the French Medaille Militaire and Croix de Guerre, the Italian Groce de Guerra and the American Medal of Honor.

Came home to the adulation of the American people, married Gracie Williams, and died in Nashville, Tenn. on September 2, 1964 after having a cerebral hemorrage.

His Congressional Medal of Honor Citation reads thusly:
"After his platoon had suffered heavy casualties and 3 other noncommissioned officers had become casualties, Cpl. York assumed command. Fearlessly leading 7 men, he charged with great daring a machinegun nest which was pouring deadly and incessant fire upon his platoon. In this heroic feat the machinegun nest was taken, together with 4 officers and 128 men and several guns."
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 7:37:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Alvin York fought in WWI, not WWII.

Was the Gary Cooper movie the one you saw?  That's a good flick.

Link Posted: 1/28/2002 7:57:00 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Alvin York fought in WWI, not WWII.

Was the Gary Cooper movie the one you saw?  That's a good flick.

I've seen this movie several times over the years - with Cooper.

From "Conscientious Objector" to "MOH."

Quite a 'MAN'.
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 9:43:25 AM EDT
[#4]
In the movie they armed York (Cooper) with a luger he captured from a German officer(dramatic license, didn't happen). He was in fact Armed with an M1911. The effects people couldn't get the M1911 to fire with blanks so they found that the Lugar would and they re- wrote a little history.
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 9:59:34 AM EDT
[#5]
I had recorded it from TNN or somebody years ago. Not the greatest copy but I still watch it from time to time. I see the video store has a copy. I'll have to see if it's available on DVD.

I heard/read somewhere that Sgt. York would not agree to a movie unless Gary Cooper had the lead role. York was also a technical advisor to the movie.

One of my favorites.
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 11:13:21 AM EDT
[#6]
One of Tenn. & Americas greatest Heros... Alvin York... and one of my favorite movies to..Believe He retired from the Army a full bird Col.
The 82nd "All American Div." aka 82nd Abn.
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 11:24:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 11:36:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 1:33:42 PM EDT
[#9]
I have seen the movie several times but is has been a few years now. In real life he might have used an Enfield but I thought Gary in the movie used a Springfield. Am I full of it? Just seems like I remember the knob on the cocking piece. Tell me if I am outta touch with my memory?
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 5:33:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 12:47:22 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I have seen the movie several times but is has been a few years now. In real life he might have used an Enfield but I thought Gary in the movie used a Springfield. Am I full of it? Just seems like I remember the knob on the cocking piece. Tell me if I am outta touch with my memory?

My understanding is that the real Sgt. York used an Enfield but, for whatever reason, a Springfield was used in the movie.  

Maybe this was done since the Enfield was a British design while the Springfield was, ostensibly at least, an American design.  Alternatively, maybe the prop company didn’t have any Enfields.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top