Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/27/2002 3:34:08 PM EDT
What's the deal behind getting the op rod out of one of these things?  Wotta pain in the butt.

Any hints on dismantling this rifle is greatly appreciated.  Before I take it by the barrel and bang the action on the floor.
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 4:28:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Chairborne

Make sure you remove the guide rod and spring first.  

Assuming you do that then pull the charging handle straight back and out.  There is a notch in the back that you have pull the op rod to remove it.  For newer M1A's this will be tight but after time will loosen up.

Hope this helps

Max
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 4:34:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Just fiddle around with it, it will come out.
Don't force it.
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 5:19:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Nope, just wound up cleaning it (again) without getting the op rod and bolt out.  Hell, I have no problem with the Garand!  Oughtta be the same deal!  I'll have to have someone who knows what they're doing show me what's up.

Kinda makes you appreciate the ol' AR.
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 5:28:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Chairborne ranger I had to send my m1a back to springfield as the notch in the rear was not cut deep enough to get the rod out or the bolt.so be careful as you can damage the rod by bending it too far also don't disassemble the bolt without the tool almost impossible to reassemble and this wont help the situtation.so if its a springfield call the or whatever the maker is.SEMPER FI
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 6:44:12 PM EDT
[#5]
CR:
I don't know if you have tried this but:
Take the action out of the stock, I knew that you knew ths
Slide the oper. rod back to the notch that is just under the windage knob.  Lift the oper rod upward and outward. This will let the bolt go free.  Flip the rod over and slide it out towards the rear.  the Bolt needs to be lifted up  at the front and will slide out upwards.
Hope that this helps.
Bill
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 2:44:28 AM EDT
[#6]
You know you don't need to field strip it everytime, right? You only need to field strip it once a year or so, and at that time you should clean the gas cylinder as well. The rest of the time, you only need to do the bore, chamber, lugs, bolt face, and maybe regrease a little if need be.
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 3:03:48 AM EDT
[#7]
ya know, I still have problems getting the rod off mine....  I may fuss with it for a few min, then it comes right off.  funny thing is, after those first few min, I can put it on and off w/o any problems..
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top