Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/26/2002 5:04:04 AM EDT
I heard from a buddy that used to drive for them that Domino's drivers are forbidden to carry firearms, wheather they have a CCW permit or not.
When they get mugged,they're just supposed to take the beating and not try to defend themselves.
Anyone know if this is true?
Link Posted: 1/26/2002 5:09:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Avoid the Noid, heard it was true but haven't read anything "official"

Edited because I can’t remember witch homonym is which.
Link Posted: 1/26/2002 5:22:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Oh-oh.I planned on getting a part-time job this spring with them to pay for my firearms addiction.I guess if they don't ask, I won't tell.
Link Posted: 1/26/2002 5:31:26 AM EDT
[#3]
There was a case several years ago in Dayton Ohio where a Dominos driver was held up by armed gunmen who ordered a pizza just to rob him. The driver was armed and returned fire killing one of the perps and seriously injuring another. He was vindicated in court for the slaying as it was ruled justifiable self-defense. Dominos fired him for carrying.... funny thing is... he was driving his OWN vehicle with the Dominos sign on top. Not a company car.

Link Posted: 1/26/2002 7:00:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Richard Davis of Second Chance started making concealable body armor after his wife was held at gunpoint delivering pizzas and he was later shot by the same purps when delivering to them.They used to own a pizza parlor in Detroit.There was also a case not too long ago where a Chinese Food delivery driver was killed for fun after some teenagers called and ordered on their cell-phone.
Link Posted: 1/26/2002 8:59:01 AM EDT
[#5]
It all comes down to liability and those damn lawyers.  If they authorize their drivers to carry, one of them caps someone and it turns out to be a bad shooting, who's on the hook?  Dominos.  Or even if it's a good shooting the perp sees the deep pockets and sues to try to get some settlement value.  If I ran a big company like that I'd probably have the same policy, but I'd look the other way about enforcing it.
Link Posted: 1/26/2002 8:59:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Many many years ago I worked for Dominos Pizza.
Some of the drivers carried, even though it was in a non-CCW state.

It can be a very dangerous job, I had 3 guns pointed at me, while working there.
Saw some friends get hurt pretty bad.
I carried a 3 D cell Maglight, red pepper mace,  and a 1911A1.

Earned enough to get through college and on to a career, thank god.
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 1:04:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 6:51:05 AM EDT
[#8]
I delivered pizzas in colege for the aforementioned corporation. Corporate policy forbid carrying weapons.

The local manager, however, felt differently. If we would have been in a situation where a weapon was used, we would have been fired, but that wasn't the point.
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 7:12:07 AM EDT
[#9]
My wife works for Papa John's Pizza, Their drivers aren't allowed to carry either.  About 4 years ago, when she was a driver, she was mugged in Gary ( yes, she was a small white girl delivering pizzas in Gary, IN. Not too smart). Now she is a manager at a different location and she has still been held up twice, once when I was on the phone with her.

I think the policy is BS. I really want her to carry, even in the store.  She is there most nights by herself until 2 A.M.
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 7:31:03 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I heard from a buddy that used to drive for them that Domino's drivers are forbidden to carry firearms, wheather they have a CCW permit or not.
When they get mugged,they're just supposed to take the beating and not try to defend themselves.

As a former Dominos Driver for about 5 years, It is indeed company policy that Drivers cannot carry while on duty. Which I promptly ignored.
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 7:32:42 AM EDT
[#11]
I live in Idaho (CCW state) and worked for Domino's for about 6 months last year to feed my gun habit (amazing how cranky the wife can get when you bring home 2nd income money she has no say about...) Fortunately things aren't so bad in this neck of the woods that there are areas I'd feel compelled to carry. Given my druthers I'd rather CCW but I can also understand Domino's liabiity concerns as well. Domino's makes sure that drivers have "Drivers carry no more than $20" on their delivery bags & uniformsn and insist on making cash drops after every delivery. Haven't heard of any drivers or the store itself getting robbed but I suppose it's only a matter of time.
Tomac
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 7:37:26 AM EDT
[#12]
Have her carry,If she looses her job for carrying a gun  big deal, If it saved her life it will have been worth it and she can always get another job.
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 7:49:01 AM EDT
[#13]
Most of you out there use Domino's as a part time job, correct?  Well, I don't know about you, but a part time job is not worth my life.  I would just assume getting fired from a part time job over getting capped because of some stupid "company rule".  It is always better safe than sorry in this day and time.  Not to mention, if you carry well, no one will ever know!
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 12:10:06 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I really want her to carry, even in the store.  She is there most nights by herself until 2 A.M.

hard to imagine losing a wife over a policy designed to keep business out of court, and that she is following it.  when something bad happens they will send you their heart-felt condolences and advertise to fill the vacant position.  
she should never be left alone in any business,
she should set her own policy and carry,
you should insist she find a safer occupation.
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 2:42:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Gabriel,
   Any delivery to Gary is bad, lucky just got mugged. I live over in Hammond and won't go to Gary proper for anything. Have driven up Broadway to the expressway from Jim Shema's Outdoor Sports and if it wasn't for IUN that area would be even worse than it is. Glad your better half isn't over there any more.
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 3:26:06 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Yes, it's true. Domino's has gone as far as fire anyone using a firearm in their self-defense or in defence of others. Then Domino's catches hell for not delivering to certain neighborhoods.
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 5:20:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Someone who works for a high paying outfit like Domino's is more worried about getting fired that saving his own life?  Screw them and their job.  I would carry.  That's me.  You do what you want.  How much is YOUR life worth?  A measly lowpaying job at Domino's or Pizza Doodl, where you have to drive your own car?  Do you know how much money you are losing?
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 6:02:56 PM EDT
[#18]
exactly what I was thinkin freeman, who cares if you get fired from that crappy place.
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 7:33:36 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I really want her to carry, even in the store.  She is there most nights by herself until 2 A.M.

hard to imagine losing a wife over a policy designed to keep business out of court, and that she is following it.  

Following the policy won't keep the business out of court.  If the store has been robbed twice before and the "company" did not take preventative action to keep the employees safe during a third robbery, the company could be held liable for the employees safety given the circumstances.

Link Posted: 1/27/2002 7:46:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 8:08:55 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
My pizza delivery girl here (90 LB, white) was murdered little over a year ago.  She fought like hell but the 200+LB "african american" robbed her - she resisted - so he raped her.  She fought like hell so he beat her to death.  The three running buddies got less than 5 years.  Purp got 20.  Her kids will just be outta college when he gets out!!  They had done two B&E, one menacing and several grand theft that day so obviously the sentences were just!! LOL!

Holy $hit, I hope her family sue the pants off the pizza company for not providing a safe working environment. The poor girl should have been a "working girl" at least she would probably be alive today.
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 8:30:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top