Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 1/25/2002 8:14:46 PM EDT

I am interested in getting a CMP Garand. In what shape is the Service Grade? What recommendations do you have? What if I just buy the reciever? How easy is it to build a "new" gun up around the receiver? Thanks

Arc_Angel

Link Posted: 1/25/2002 8:40:30 PM EDT
cmp garands are excellent. i have worked there as a volunteer inspecting and grading rifles. "service grade" means exactly that! it has to pass certain criteria to pass. sg also means it is combat serviceable. at the odcmp website u will find the criteria listed there for sg..the wood usually is not that great..but the rifle is great! and i have built from scratch, better to buy one..cost more the other way and u get it all ready to shoot after u clean it!i have 5 of em!
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 9:21:15 PM EDT
The CMP stuff is like a lottery with a minimum garunteed payout as slasher said even the least of them has to pass what ammounts to depot level inspection and any out of spec parts are replaced and a function check done on them --the worst part might be the wood from years of storage and handling.
I just got a lot of M14 parts from them and with the exception of a minor abrasion on the bottom of the trigger guard all the parts look and chek out as new or near new parts for half the price paid at a gunshow or vendor.
CMP is about one of the best deals out there these days.
Link Posted: 1/26/2002 8:02:23 AM EDT
I got a service grade that was very good overall. Since the springs might be as old as 60 years, ordered a full set from Chestnut Ridge. I'd advise against the XP op-rod spring from Wolff. Garands seem to like GI spring rate. No more. No less. Rifle shoots better than I do and has not bobbled once using AE, Lake City and Greek surplus. Best value in a rifle I've ever gotten. After you order from CMP, go to the Fulton Armory website and read a wealth of info there. Downloaded TM 9-1275, FM 23-5 there IIRC.
Link Posted: 1/26/2002 8:53:30 AM EDT
My Service Grade was wonderfull. When I get home, I can post pics.

CMP
GO FOR IT ! !
Link Posted: 1/26/2002 8:56:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/26/2002 8:58:57 AM EDT by warlord]
When you get your M1, unless it is one of the rarer collecor ones, make sure you shoot it. There is a lot more from where that came from. Check out the Fulton web site, they show Garands stacked from floor to the ceiling on pallets. The CMP has a monopoly on true GI Garands.

There has been TALK of restricting former military arms because a few was found at crime scenes, ie M1 Carb at drive-by shootings. The antis will be back next time. So with that in mind......
Top Top