Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/25/2002 12:31:30 PM EDT
I figured someone else here would mention it, but since they didn't, and I have yet to see it mentioned in any of the gun rags, here goes...

Volquartsen has announced that they will be bringing out a new handgun that is chambered in 22 magnum and another of the same design chambered in the new Hornady 17 RFM. They have not said much about it and have not even said what type of action it will be. The name of the new firearm is the "Black Cheetah" which is not what I would have picked out for a name, but I am excited to see if it will be a semi auto, which is a prerequisite for my interest.

At the Shot Show, in just a couple of weeks, they will release the rest of the details to us. I’ve got a couple of friends who attend each year, who I’ve asked to pick up any info they can for me. So, soon we will see!

Anyone got any more info?

OdT

Link Posted: 1/25/2002 12:38:34 PM EDT
[#1]
The only .17 HMR I have heard of are rifles that are made by marlin and ruger. Both are bolt action I think. I do not know of any handguns in .17 HMR.
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 12:40:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Odt-
According to the Volsq. link at www.rimfirecentral.com pictures an specs for the Cheetah will be up next week.
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 12:49:43 PM EDT
[#3]
not to be a jerk but why would someone want a 22mag handgun?  with the short barrel it would be kind of worthless wouldn't it?  why not just get 22lr, it would be cheaper.  i have a 22mag rifle and i like it but just cannot see a handgun being useful..i don't know anything about .17 though, maybe that would have a better velocity to it.  maybe i have no idea what i'm talking about...
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 1:46:27 PM EDT
[#4]
big-guy, me too, except I thought I heard mention of another rifle as well.....?

B27, cool, I'll check it out.

inferno715, maybe none of us know what we're talking about, and you've got a point. But your point is a bit boring compared to Volquartsens'. You say why....they say why not. I like their version better.
Useful? Hell I don't know, some say the 22mag would make the ultimate concealed defense round, some say it's the ultimate in pest control and slaughter work, and others say it's ridiculous in a handgun.......I couldn't tell you, but I'd have fun finding out. I've enjoyed great results with the rifle in this chambering and would love to try it in something besides a revolver. We'll have to wait to see if the it is any better than AMTs' feeble attempt at quality.

OdT
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 5:14:40 PM EDT
[#5]
The 17 cal ammo is going to run around $12 a box of 50 retail, probably around $9 a box  wholesale says Hornady.
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 11:42:36 PM EDT
[#6]
my dad used a ruger single six in 22mag to kill a squirrel at 75 yards.
Thats why a 22mag in pistol form is a good idea, for those handgun varmint hunters.

standard 22lr out of a handgun will Not do the job even at close range on a small varmint. as per my exprience.

a 22mag is a Hunting round, as is the 17hmr.
if your a plinker stick with the 22lr.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top