Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/24/2002 7:02:24 AM EDT
In the police dept that I work for we have mini-14's in the trunk of the cruiser's.  My only complaint is that the city is fairly dense houses and the .223 round would easily penetrate a house or two.  I was considering getting the PC4 to backup the mini?
your thoughts?
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 10:57:14 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:In the police dept that I work for we have mini-14's in the trunk of the cruiser's.  My only complaint is that the city is fairly dense houses and the .223 round would easily penetrate a house or two.  I was considering getting the PC4 to backup the mini?
your thoughts?

I own the PC9 and it is a great little carbine.  I would recommend it for an urban carbine role.  Make sure you get the one with the ghost ring sight.  A red dot is a natural addition for this gun.  But it is a heavy little rifle, I'd guess it weighs about as much as the Mini-14.

I don't suppose you have any discretion in what sort of ammo to put in your Mini-14.  If it were me, I'd get hold of some frangible ammo to reduce the risk of penetration.
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 11:48:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 1:09:26 PM EDT
[#3]
The Ruger carbine doesn’t really give you much more than what you’ve already got with your handgun.   IMHO it makes sense only if your agency prohibits full power rifle cartridges such as the .223, which is not your case.

It is increasingly being accepted that a .233 will penetrate some structures less than a handgun round.  This is backed up by quite a bit of testing.  (I personally have some qualms about this.  But, my concerns notwithstanding, there are plenty of credible sources concluding that this is true.)

However, a .223 does have greater range than a handgun round.  This is great if you need the range, but a liability if you let a round go wild in a populated area.

If you feel strongly that you need an alternative to the Mini-14, I’d suggest a shotgun, assuming that option is open to you.

Keep in mind, though, that having two different long arms with different controls can result in mistakes in the ‘fog of battle” – like, for example, trying to pump a Mini-14.   If you go with two long arms, try to match up the operation as much as possible.

My suggestion would be to simply stay with the Mini-14 and make sure you hit whatever you shoot at.  Human bodies make great backstops, esp. with a .223.
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 1:12:26 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
You DO know that virtually any 9mm, .40S&W, or .45ACP round will penetrate MORE walls and be MORE dangerous than a .223, right?
-Troy

Hey Troy, thats not 100% accured, 5.56 WOULD penetrate steel much better then any pistol caliber. Not to mention vests. anyways..
HUNTER FROM ARGENTINA
OUT.

Link Posted: 1/24/2002 1:15:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Walls made out of steel?
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 7:43:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Ref the shotgun comment, we do have mossber 500 shotguns in the cruiser with either 13-14 inch bbls.  They keep them with 5 "OO" buck shells in the magazine and 4 slugs in the speedfeed stock.  I personally keept 10 extra slugs with me and put those in the magazine while on duty.
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 12:36:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 4:55:05 PM EDT
[#8]
The same 9mm will hit the steel wall, ricochet and hurt bystander.

I guess it¡¦s all depending on the load you get.

Some go down to 9mm in fear of over penetrating
But later changed to 9mm +p wanting more stopping power.

But pistol caliber carbines are easier on your ear if you have to shoot in close quarters
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top