Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 1/23/2002 7:46:54 PM EDT
I got the Winchester classic stainless.

Now I need to figure out what to top it with. I'm looking at Kahles, Swarovski, and Zeiss.
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 7:56:43 PM EDT

Originally Posted By bunghole:
I got the Winchester classic stainless.

Now I need to figure out what to top it with. I'm looking at Kahles, Swarovski, and Zeiss.

Congradulations, I just got the "Coyote" medium barreled varmint model, I'm using the 150grn BST and have a 4.5-14x50 Leopold mil-dot long range tactical on top.
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 8:23:12 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 8:34:19 PM EDT
GRRR! Now I want one. Congrats.
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 9:53:03 PM EDT
$650
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 9:54:46 PM EDT
I'm thinking about scoping it with one of the new Kahles American Hunter 3.5-10x50. I'd like to get a 30mm scope but I can't justify spending almost $1000.
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 10:27:15 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 10:37:58 PM EDT
Hmmm nice.

I've been wondering about the 300WSM let us know how it shoots.

I have a Remington Sendero in 300Win.Mag. (maybe we should call it 300WLM now - LOL).
I *love* this rifle, it shoots extremely well.

Go with the Leupold scope. I've got a 30mm tube Leupold and I paid around $700 for it. Its a truly excellent scope and I wouldn't hesitate buying another or recommending it.

Here is my Sendero with the Leupold Vari-X III LRT 6.5x20 50mm scope.

I'm sure they have other models in the magnification you may need and probably for less money. I got my scope mail order from Natchez Shooters Supply. Plus you can't beat Leupold's lifetime warranty.
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 11:01:23 PM EDT
My dealer is trying to get me to buy a Kahles 30mm tube. They are damn nice but $1000 is too much. I'm going to put a limit of about $700 for the scope. This is my first bolt gun so I have a question. What kind of base should I get? One piece, two piece, dovetail rings? I'm also going to replace the recoil pad because it's pretty hard rubber.
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 11:15:32 PM EDT
For most shooting a two piece base is fine and it may be allow for easier cleaning as it won't cover the ejection port as much.

I have a one piece and this is because of recommendations from long range shooters (I plan to do some long range shooting, 1000yds+).

Supposedly, the one piece base will contract and expand more uniformly [being that its one piece of metal versus two] as the rifle heats up. This is really only important for long range stuff for hunting and most shooting, its kinda moot.

The Leupold dual dove [two pieces, each with a dove tail] base is reasonably strong.

If you need a "bullet proof" setup there is Badger Ordnance but they are expensive (around $200 if I remember correctly).

If you can afford the 30mm tube - Get it.
It allows more light to pass through and is just nice. As I said before you can probably find a Leupold in your price range. They are great scopes and their customer service is great too!
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 8:23:07 AM EDT

Originally Posted By 1GUNRUNNER:
Get's a job one day and a gun the next. What did you pay for it?

Apple II becomes the first mass-produced home computer. Star Wars debuts. Rings around Uranus discovered.

LOL, That is exactly what I thought.
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 8:32:40 AM EDT
Hope they (Winchester) have fixed these problems with your new gun: www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=73643

Mike
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 7:45:42 PM EDT
Hopefully my run of bad luck with guns is through. After the problems I've had with my latest Kimber I shouldn't have any more problems for 300 more years!
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 8:00:17 AM EDT
Congrats on your 300WSM! I have one myself, although it's a Browning. Unless you're a big fan of downright EVIL RECOIL, I'd advise you to replace that factory synthetic stock with a quality aftermarket. Not only will you add some weight to the gun, taming some of that recoil, but a new bedding job is a must if your want the best accuracy from you're rifle. [The factory synthetic stocks seem to be bedded with hot glue]. For instance, my 300WSM Browning Abolt hunter shot a lousy 2"+ group with factory 150BSTs (which are reportedly the worst performing ammo - maybe, maybe not - read on). After replacing my factory wood stock with a laminated thumbhole, rebedding the action, and hand-lapping the barrel, my new and improved Abolt shoots .625" groups with FACTORY 150BSTs, and .750" groups with factory 180FS ammo. As for optics, that's your decision. However, I would advise on using at least double dove-tail mounts and rings. As for me, I topped mine off with Leupy VXIII 3.5-10X50 (purchased from Natchez). I'll be working up a load with the new Barnes 168gr XLCs and CT 165gr FSs in the next few weeks and will post the results. Enjoy!
Top Top