Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/23/2002 7:33:23 PM EDT
Hey I just ran across this site www.k-arms.com/guns.htm and they advertise a Croatian version of the Springfield XD.  Are there any differences in these two guns?  The Croatian one is obviously cheaper.  Any one have experience with one?  Looks like a cross between a USP and a Glock with a grip safety and loaded chamber indicator.  Cool...
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 7:39:26 PM EDT
[#1]
I believe they are exactly the same gun, but I stand to be corrected.  As I understand it, the manufacturer imported them a year or so ago and they went over like a lead balloon.  Now got the big name behind them -- I read a few reviews and they appear to be good guns.
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 7:44:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Springfield has a long history of building other peoples guns, remember the CZ clones?
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 7:46:22 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Springfield has a long history of building other peoples guns, remember the CZ clones?

Oh yeah, the SAR's too, or were those manufactured in the US?  So this is just more rebadged stuff?  
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 7:46:52 PM EDT
[#4]
They are the exact same gun.  just new branding and identification marks.  Not to mention an additional $150-$200.

G&A gently criticized the HS2000 but offered rave reviews for the Springfield.  Even though they admitted they were the same gun.
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 7:49:02 PM EDT
[#5]
I personally love the Springfield G3 assembled with Greek contract parts on a Federal Arms C-H-U-N-K-Y receiver.  It's almost as if they took Century rifles and stamped SPRINGFIELD on them in order to sell them for 10 times what they're worth!

I hate Springfield, Inc.  Can you tell?

Link Posted: 1/23/2002 7:57:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Well I love Springfields 1911's, I lust over their loaded models.
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 1:44:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Actually, they're both made in the same factory in Croatia and both have CROATIA stamped on the slide. Springfield doesn't really build them, they just import them with their name on them.

There's a local gun store now selling the Springfield XD model, yet when I asked him 6 months ago about the HS2000, he said he wasn't going to stock them and that he would not order one for me because he heard "bad things" about them. He wouldn't go into detail about what "bad things," even when I pressed him for an answer... because he was full of shit.

I concluded that the only "bad things" he heard had nothing to do with quality and everything to do with profit. There's more profit in Glocks and Sigs, and I'm pretty sure he's making more selling the the XD too.

That's okay, my $300 HS2000 just became a $450 Limited Edition First Production Run.
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 5:40:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Economics 101

HS Arms started business by importing the HS2000 from a Croatian military arms manufacturer which was subsidized with your tax dollars during the Clinton administration. Imagine the anti-gun Clinton administration subsidizing the making and importation of a 9mm pistol to stimulate the economy of Croatia? Politics and money always prevail over retoric.

The price, apparently due to the subsity, was down right cheap. The pistol however, was and is based on a long standing proven military design in service for many years but upgraded to use a polymer frame like a glock. It is basicaly a cross between a Glock and a Sig.

The HS2000 is actually a very good pistol with many features that Glock owners add to their pistols after they buy them. It is very reliable and very accurate. It was considered the sleeper of the decade by those fortunate to get hold of one and overcome the narrow mindedness and snobbery of some of the gun buying public.  However, HS was unable to satifactorly keep up with demand and the  narrow profit margin put them into trouble.

In the mean time, Springfield Armory noticed the pistol, the rave reviews and loyalty of its owners and approached the manufacturer about importing the gun themselves. They swung a deal to import the same exact gun.

It should be noted that many American gun makers have actually imported and sold foreign made guns under their own names.

Springfield Armory is an established company with a dealer network in place and the money to advertise and market the pistol. Those things cost money and was something HS Arms was unable to do. Obviously SA thought the HS was a good addition to thier lineup and a good enough pistol to use as their entry into the service pistol market. Yes the price went up but it is still a good pistol for the money.

It should be noted that SA is is doing warranty work on HS2000 pistols which is a nice touch.

Just so you know, I have nothing to do with SA, HS Arms, the former Clinton administration or Croatia. I just happen to have found the HS2000 and the new XD version to be excellent pistols.

I have 2 HS2000s and an XD40. The HSs are used for IDPA competition and I just bought the XD40 as a carry gun.
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 8:42:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Ok, now I want one...BAD!

PS-gunbroker.com is Offline!  nutz!
Link Posted: 1/26/2002 4:42:52 PM EDT
[#10]
ooh man i want one too... and i just saw one at a gunshow... what is a good price for the springfield version?  man i gotta get another job :)
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 12:11:28 AM EDT
[#11]
There are six Springfield XD-9s on www.gunbroker.com/. The lowest price is $377 with a cash discount, and the next to lowest is $379. I am not affiliated with the sellers, just passing along the info.
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 9:31:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Hell, I've got a generation 1 HS2000 that I  would sell for $300.00 plus shipping. If you live in Idiana I would do a personal sale to CCW holder.
The pistol is in about 97% condition with maybe a box of cartridges through it.
Let me know.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top