Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/23/2002 4:16:51 PM EDT
O.K. i've considered getting a wheelgun.

Which one do you guy think is best AND why???

I know that the Smith's are supposed to be the easily tuned, what about the Colt's.

Also, how are the triggers on each and what can be done.

Thanx!
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 4:39:00 PM EDT
[#1]
You are aware that the Colt will cost at least twice what the 686 costs?
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 4:42:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 4:42:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 4:46:44 PM EDT
[#4]
I LOVE my 8 3/8" ss 686,however i also want
a ss colt python w/8 3/8" bbl too! Both guns
are exellent choices.
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 4:47:04 PM EDT
[#5]
I didn't know about the cost BUT cost aside...

What are the difference, which is better in your opinion and why do you think so???
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 5:08:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Heard but not confirmed, the Python is more likely to need tuning.

IMHO, however, if I could get them both for the same price, I would buy the Python, it just looks so cool.
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 5:15:53 PM EDT
[#7]
  I've got a Colt PeaceKeaper that is a hell-of-a gun --- for a revolver. Only needed a trigger job. Very accurrate for a six inch barrel. Python is basically the same gun only in S.S. Both are "heavy frame" Colts -- the Python also has the 8" barrel.
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 5:17:02 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I didn't know about the cost BUT cost aside...

What are the difference, which is better in your opinion and why do you think so???

I know three guys who have had (past tense intentional) Pythons. They all said that the Colt was a sweet gun, excellent trigger, very smooth. They also found out that a steady diet of magnum loads made all those good things go out the window. The Python's claim to fame was that each one was hand fitted. The old Colt lockwork required it. So they were indeed smooth, but tend to suffer from constant battering. One of those three Pythons spends it's days in a safe, the others sold or traded off for something else.

On the other hand, the 686 was designed from the start to avoid all the wear and tear issues found in the Colts and the K-frame S&W magnums.

I personally continue to shoot a 4" 686 I bought new in 1983(?) that has had at least 20,000 rounds run through it. The only trouble I ever had was a broken trigger pivot pin about 12 years ago, somewhere around 14000 rounds. Sent it to Smith and had it back in two weeks, good as new and no charge. That's my experience with the L-Frames. It has been a good one.
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 5:43:39 PM EDT
[#9]
I like the 686
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 5:57:22 PM EDT
[#10]
I tend to agree with Cerberus about the finicky lock work of the pythons, the Smiths are by far the more durable gun for service carry.

While the full under barrel lug on the 686 looks cool, realy it serves little purpose for my money (other than to ad uneeded wieght to the barrel.). Why not consider the good old S&W mod 66. Stainess and tough as nails it was by far the most carried police revolver, back before the Glock revolution, and still is a potent weapon in the hands of a user salty with the wheel gun.
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 6:25:49 PM EDT
[#11]

I've got a Colt PeaceKeaper that is a hell-of-a gun --- for a revolver. Only needed a trigger job. Very accurrate for a six inch barrel. Python is basically the same gun only in S.S.
 Come on, bro!  Get serious.  That's like saying a Chevette is the same as a Corvette because GM makes both of them.
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 7:16:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Remember when colt came out with the Parkerized Troopers with the tool marks still on them, Now there was the true Chevette of .357's
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 7:52:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Python is a beautiful gun BUT
if you plan on doing a lot of shooting
get the L frame S&W

I have a 7 Shot  3" 686  & I love it.
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 8:43:20 PM EDT
[#14]
I have a 4" 686, and have used a Python.  The triggers don't compare at all IMO.  The Python is as smooth as glass.  I noticed that the 4" Python fired a little more accurately in DA, but I think that had to do with the trigger.  I may be wrong, but I have always considered the Python more of a range/target gun and the 686 more a service gun.

I love my 686 and don't plan to part with it, but if I had the money I would definately add a Python to my collection.
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 10:26:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanks guys for the info.

FYI I plan to use the gun more for target shooting than anything else with a REMOTE possibility of using it for hunting.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top