Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 1/22/2002 12:41:09 PM EDT
OK.....

I'm almost afraid to ask this, but I simply don't know and I figure you all will.

How do I remove the handguards on an AR?

I built the lower receiver (my first) from a stripped receiver and a parts kits, but the upper was already assembled. So I never figured out how to disassemble that part.

I have an ASA CAR-15 16" with the round handguards.

[shame]

[/shame]
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 1:04:32 PM EDT
No problems mate,

Find the spring-loaded "delta-ring" on your rifle (the black, round, wide-ish ring that is between your handguards and the front of your upper receiver). It encircles your barrel and the tail end of your handguards.

With the buttplate of your stock on the table/counter, muzzle up, pull down (toward the buttplate) on the delta ring far enough to clear the handguards underneath. Remove one half of the grips at a time.

This is an awkward operation and may take two people to complete, as the delta ring is under a lot of spring tension to keep your handgrips in place. There is even a special tool for this operation.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 1:11:49 PM EDT

Originally Posted By GeneStoner:
No problems mate,

Find the spring-loaded "delta-ring" on your rifle (the black, round, wide-ish ring that is between your handguards and the front of your upper receiver). It encircles your barrel and the tail end of your handguards.

With the buttplate of your stock on the table/counter, muzzle up, pull down (toward the buttplate) on the delta ring far enough to clear the handguards underneath. Remove one half of the grips at a time.

This is an awkward operation and may take two people to complete, as the delta ring is under a lot of spring tension to keep your handgrips in place. There is even a special tool for this operation.

Good luck.

THANKS !

I had pulled on that and I saw that it moved. I figured that was part of the process, but I did't want to break anything by doing it wrong, so I wasn't able to get the handguards off. Its definitely awkward.......

Again, thanks.

Link Posted: 1/22/2002 1:22:27 PM EDT
!WARNING!

Make sure the weapon is NOT LOADED! You probably know this but its especially important here because your head and neck are most likely going to be right over the barrel when you try to gain leverage to remove the handguards. Also, get a buddy to help you. I know that this is a one person job for all of the Macho men out there, but two people just makes it so much easier.
Top Top