Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/21/2002 5:49:41 PM EDT
I just picked up a new in the box Colt 1911 Defender.  Possibly my "cary" gun later down the road.  I havent even shot it yet but I have some very basic questions and i'm sure that you will laugh at me for asking...but just dont tell me that.

What kind of mags work best in this gun?  Are they the same mags that can be used in the Gov. and Commander models?

Are all the parts Mil-spec?  If so...who makes the best "bang for your buck" aftermarket parts?

If you've got some cool 1911 stuff for sale Let me know.  I've got a new toy!!!

Thanks guys!
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 6:08:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Is the Denfender the commander size gun?
Wilson mags are the best!As far as parts goes any name brand,Wilson,Ed Brown etc.On high stress parts such as extractor,slide stop,hammer and sear go with forged parts, "Hardcore" "Bullet proof"from EdBrown and Wilson are very good.
Enjoy!
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 6:09:29 PM EDT
[#2]
I am not sure, but wasn't that a late model, light weight "mid-size" with wrap-around rubber grips and 80 series features?  Best after market - Wilson, Brown, McCormick, etc.  If you have a Brownell's catalog there are pages of stuff.  Plenty of mags on the Handguns for Sale forum right now (including from me).
What is the capacity of the mag that came with the gun?
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 6:13:22 PM EDT
[#3]
The defender came with a 7 shot mag, I Think!  As far as if its a Commander length?  Um......Its got a 3 inch barrel I know that for sure.  There was no papers with this gun.  Just to good of a deal to pass up, I know that much for sure.

Does this help probelem solvers?

Thanks again
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 6:18:53 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
The defender came with a 7 shot mag, I Think!

In .45 ACP?
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 6:21:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Yes it is 45 ACP And I just checked....there 6 round single stack mags.  So I gues I cant use the standard mags huh.  That being said......does anyone have any 6 round single stack mags for sale?  
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 6:26:53 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Yes it is 45 ACP And I just checked....there 6 round single stack mags.  So I gues I cant use the standard mags huh.  That being said......does anyone have any 6 round single stack mags for sale?  

You should be able to use standard (and extended) magazines. They will stick out a bit, but they should work OK.
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 6:28:25 PM EDT
[#7]
I dont suppose there is somthing like a gap filler if there going to stick out of the gun?  Just a question.
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 6:31:39 PM EDT
[#8]
I think this is the one that is smaller than the officers ACP. If I'm right, about the only difference is it has a 1/2 inch shorter barrel. I have an Officers ACP lightweight, enhanced, and I love it. It is very accurate and dependable for a pistol of this size. Don't think that you have to change everything to make this a fine firearm. The only things I have changed on mine are the guide rod and spring, trigger and I put a set of Wilson Kingwood grips on it. It's hard to beat Wilson parts.
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 6:33:59 PM EDT
[#9]
I think you have an offers size gun,chopped slide and grip.Any 1911 mag will work but it will stick out some.The new Wilson catalog shows 7 and 8 rd Offers mag's.$28 and $33 each.
Nothing but money!!
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 6:34:17 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I dont suppose there is somthing like a gap filler if there going to stick out of the gun?  Just a question.

Maybe Pearce grips?  They make several other sleeves, fillers ,etc.

Maybe not, I just checked their web site and did not find one, just mag / grip extenders, +2's, etc.  Sorry, no help
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 6:18:05 AM EDT
[#11]
If not mistaken, the Defenders require their own shortened magazine (to look right).  That being said, I am sure Wilson, McCormick, et al. will have aftermarket versions that fit properly.

Springfield and Kimber (ugh) also make the identical sized pistol...so you could get mags from them as well.

I think the frame is simple an Officer's frame with a shortened slide and barrel (frame is same though).  I COULD BE WRONG...but am about 80% sure about that info.
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 9:44:55 AM EDT
[#12]
Thanks guys for all the help.  Well off to buy some more mags and I'd say bout a 1000 rounds of ammo.  Anyone know what ammo works best for these guns?
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 12:18:22 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Thanks guys for all the help.  Well off to buy some more mags and I'd say bout a 1000 rounds of ammo.  Anyone know what ammo works best for these guns?

May I suggest you visit a gun show & save yourself some $$. There you can shop around for best prices on mags & ammo. I recommend running several boxes of FMJ (full metal jacket) thru the gun to ensure reliabile function & then try hollow points. Federal Hydra-shok is a good choice as is maybe Remington Golden Sabre.
Always remember that a gun will do better with some ammo than others! If you have problems with the gun, try a different ammo before you have a gunsmith lighten your wallet.
Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 12:26:51 PM EDT
[#14]
It's an Officers' ACP size gun.  I wouldn't change anything on the gun, except maybe a beavertail if it bite you.  All the extra wide, extended, longer, lower wider, foo faw is just to make money for the manufacturers.  It's of no use to you.

You've got the right idea already:  buy ammo & go shooting.  I like Federal AE, but almost any 230 gr FMJ will work just fine.  Try a box before buying 1000, just in case.  Hollow points  may be more finicky.

Excellent pistol,
Norm in NJ
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 12:30:37 PM EDT
[#15]

What kind of mags work best in this gun?  Are they the same mags that can be used in the Gov. and Commander models?

The Colt Defender uses an officers length frame that is shorter than Government length by 0.4 inch and deducts one round from the overall capacity. GM mags will work fine but will protrude from the mag well about 1/2 inch. Most quality magazines will work reliably; specifically I would recommend Wilson Combat mags. WC magazines can be had for the officers length frame with varying base pad thickness in both 6 and 7 round capacity. If you want a mag that fits flush with the bottom of the gun I would recommend Mec-Gar mags.

Are all the parts Mil-spec?  If so...who makes the best "bang for your buck" aftermarket parts?

No, not all of the parts are Mil-spec but that's not to say they are not quality parts. For instance the sights, grip safety, thumb safety, and other parts will differ by design. Mostly because the Defender differs significantly from the gun that was originally spec'd as the GM. However, they do share allot of the same parts such as slide stop, firing pin, extractor, FP stop (series 80), etc. The GM has undergone a vast array of "improvements" over its 91-year history and because of that some of the parts will differ in their execution. However, most Mil-spec parts will fit. For instance if you wanted to fit the standard GI "tear drop" thumb safety instead of the extended thumb safety, as long as it was properly fit, it would work 100%. Quality parts makers such as Wilson Combat, Ed Brown, and many others should be able to supply you with anything you want. Additionally, Colt’s factory parts are very good and I would not recommend switching anything out until you had a good working knowledge of the gun or a part wore out or broke.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top