Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 1/20/2002 11:51:07 AM EDT
I have a guy that wants one of my AR's in exchange for his AR10. I have a M4gery Bushmaster, and he has an Eagle Arms AR10. Anything to look out for? Any drawbacks over the Bushmaster .223. I probably would use it for long range target and occasional hunting. I already have a 20" Bushmaster set up for varmits, but it is not as versatile for hunting since we have a .24 cal minimum for big game in Tennessee.
Thanks
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 11:59:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/20/2002 12:01:11 PM EDT by M4Madness]
NIB Eagle Arms AR-10s can be had for the upper $900 range. They have an unlined barrel, if that is something that you are concerned with.
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 12:30:30 PM EDT
Personally I would choose a M1A over an AR-10 due to the easier mag acquirement. AR-10s use M-14 mags but need to be modified a bit, a PITA IMO.
I'm in Nashville, where are you in TN?
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 12:47:50 PM EDT
I am in Franklin, shoot at Owl Hollow sometimes. You?
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 2:08:13 PM EDT
I have the A'lite A2 and all that I can say is that I'm very happy with it. There is some thing about an AR that shoots a full power cartridge!I have a chromed lined barrel and I shoot right around an inch and a half with milsurp. I love to see what it will do with a scope and match ammo.
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 3:09:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/20/2002 3:10:30 PM EDT by Another-Bill]
I agree with Bob Cole. I had an AR10A2 and sold it and bought a FAL and then latter an M1A. I prefer both of them to the AR10. I had trouble with the 10, bolt recall, chamber polishing for stuck cases and, worse of all(?), those $85 jam-a-matic converted mags I bought from Armalite. I had Armalite install their match trigger when it went to the factroy the last time, and with it and a 4x12 Nikon Monarch scope, I really was not blown away with the accuracy of it as a $1400 rifle, now the jams were a different story. My ARS FAL would shoot the same size groups with it's 9lb trigger and iron sights as the 10 with the match trigger and scope. Now the stock M1A will get sub-moa with my handloads and its fine irons if my eyes are not too tired, now that is satisifing shooting.

Bill
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 5:03:40 PM EDT
AnotherBill, did you have an early AR-10?I bought about a year ago and I have not had a single malfunctioning problem.The bolt release did break and I had a burr on the inside of the carrier group which would not allow the firing pin retaining pin to go in smooth.None of those problems affected function.
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 5:54:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/21/2002 5:56:42 AM EDT by Quarterbore]
From your description, I am assuming your Bushmaster is a Pre-Ban. If so, I hope you are getting significant extras with your trade!!!

Look at prices but a v-good Pre-Ban Bushmaster should sell for about $1400 min as opposed to $1000 for a BRAND NEW IN BOX Eagle Arms AR-10.

As for the AR-10 vs AR-15.... I think everyone should own both. I mean everybody should own one of every gun. I mean that is what I tell the wife!

Good Luck~
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 7:47:39 AM EDT

Originally Posted By primative:
I am in Franklin, shoot at Owl Hollow sometimes. You?

I'm at Priest Lake Gun Club in Smyrna. Sometimes I go to Viola (pop. 29), sometimes to Cheatam TWRA range. Never been to Owl Hollow but know several who used to. You go to the Bob Pope gun shows?
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 5:31:04 PM EDT
Yes, I go to Pope's shows. He is moving the location to an old Wal-Mart about 3 miles from the expo center from what a dealer told me today. I think the next show is late March to early April.

Quarterbore, I wish I could have one of everything. I have changed rifles so much in the last few years that I am not sure I am doing the right thing anymore. I really like my AR, but something about a companion carbine for my G36 (HK USC 45) is taunting me. Of course I would have to part with the AR in order to swap. I would like to be talked out of this. What do you think? Ammo consolidation and cost is attractive. Hell, all I ever get to use my AR for is play and occasionally hunt Coyotes....the same can be said for the HK.
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 5:37:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/24/2002 5:38:02 AM EDT by Quarterbore]

..........Of course I would have to part with the AR in order to swap. I would like to be talked out of this. What do you think? Ammo consolidation and cost is attractive......

There is OH SO MUCH MORE to consider in regards to the AR-15 as opposed to anything else out there.... Consider the following...

1. Widest assortment of cartridges of ANY GUN.

2. Cheap, readily available replacement parts and accessories.

3. More aftermarket parts, accessories, and gadgets then any other gun.

4. Ease of converting rifle to carbine, change caliber, swap trigger groups, sights, scopes, etc is unmatched by ANYTHING else.

5. Out shoot most any semi-auto rifle in the world and MUCH LESS COST.

6. Can be converted to FULL auto and back to semi auto with a legal LL or DIAS.

7. Can buy a huge assortment of uppers for most any mood or purpose.

8. AND MOST IMPORTANTLY, its an AR-15 that looks just like Uncle Sam uses!

Anybody else have a reason why everybody should have an AR-15 in their collection?
Top Top