Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/20/2002 10:13:25 AM EDT
Although it is supposedly great for degreasing and cleaning firearms, are there any ill effects from using this product?
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 11:17:28 AM EDT
[#1]
A friend of mine submerged a suppressor in it overnight and when he took it out the next day the carbon was gone, but it had no finish left left on it either.  

I would suggest that you do not use it with any type of baked enamel finish.
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 11:19:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Nope...but I have thrown a couple of them in the dishwasher when the ole lady wasnt looking...cleaned em up pretty good....
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 2:12:21 PM EDT
[#3]
For cleaning the guy in the AGI tapes really praises it. CLP for lubricating.
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 2:26:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Simple Green... I think I'd pass...

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=81784
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 2:41:58 PM EDT
[#5]
I've used it for years on steel, with no ill effects.

It's great for de-greasing.

I use it with REALLY hot water. I shake off all the hot water and follow up with CLP.

I use it about once a year when I detail strip and REALLY clean a weapon.

It's like brake cleaner but with less smell.
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 8:32:26 PM EDT
[#6]
I use it all the time as a degreaser but I have seen a few problems with it.  Specifically I've seen it strip the black off cheap parts such as Leapers scope mounts and I know a guy who had the finish taken off his Makarov by Simple Green.

About once a year I detail strip each of my guns, dunk them in Ed's Red and really scrub them up, then use Simple Green to completely degrease them before applying a fresh coat of CLP.
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 11:06:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Foamy engine brite does OK, as does Easy-off.
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 5:32:59 AM EDT
[#8]
We're not allowed to use simple green on aircraft landing gear or other high strength steel parts. It seems that it contains chlorates that attack the steel microstructure and will cause cracking that eventually causes the part to fail.
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 5:00:40 PM EDT
[#9]
I've been cleaning all of my weapons for quite a while with dish soap and HOT water. I have found nothing that degreases as thoroughly. Of course you still need bore cleaner in the barrel, but dish soap, toothbrush and very hot water does an outstanding job of cleaning.  
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 3:46:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Don't do it. It can remove anodizing! Bad idea!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top