Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/20/2002 6:17:20 AM EDT
I was shooting my HK USP .45 yesterday with a friend.  I ran out of ammo, and against my better judgement I loaded a magazine of wolf steel case specials from his ammo case.  First round = Jam!  First jam from USP ever.  The case was stuck, and after pulling back on slide as hard as I could the case ejected.  The case was split down the side.

Questions:
A) Could this have damaged my chamber in any way? (It looks fine)

B)Was split likely from low quality wolf case

C)or, was split likely caused from an overloaded round
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 12:50:27 PM EDT
[#1]
There should be no damage to your gun. The steel in the barrel is much harder & better than the casing, of course. I learned the hard way to avoid Wolf ammo like the plague.
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 7:27:00 PM EDT
[#2]
boy, i wouldnt be sure about the usp after that split case, maybe you should sell it to me so i can make sure its safe.
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 9:47:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Wolf!? Aww bubba, how could you?

coyote3
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 10:28:06 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I was shooting my HK USP .45 yesterday with a friend.  I ran out of ammo, and against my better judgement I loaded a magazine of wolf steel case specials from his ammo case.  First round = Jam!  First jam from USP ever.  The case was stuck, and after pulling back on slide as hard as I could the case ejected.  The case was split down the side.

Questions:
A) Could this have damaged my chamber in any way? (It looks fine)

B)Was split likely from low quality wolf case

C)or, was split likely caused from an overloaded round

A.  Does it looked damaged?  If it still looks shiny after cleaning with no cracks or noticeable warps it wasn't damaged.

B.  I shoot Wolf .45 all the time.  The cases do split from time to time.  I think the spilt case is most likely from low-quality steel and not from an overload.  You would know the difference between an overload and a simple crappy case.  An overload would make a much louder report and would do a good bit more than just split the case.

I've never had an overload with Wolf ammo.  The ammo seems to be fairly consistent.  The steel they use can get to be a little brittle and that's why it splits.  
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 10:58:12 AM EDT
[#5]
DON'T USE WOLF !!!!!!

Steel case ammo is extremely hard on your weapons. I learned this the hard way. Steel casings do not dissipate heat very fast. They also expand more than brass. So when you fire them, they expand and are tighter in the chamber. This translates into more wear on your chamber and on the extractor.

I broke the extractor on my Glock and had a bajillion failures to extract from my AR when I was using Steel Cased ammo.

It's cheaper than brass, but steel is not the right material to use. There is a reason that Brass is used by everyone else. Besides, if you have to repair the weapon, the "cheap" ammo actually costs you more !

Link Posted: 1/21/2002 11:03:03 AM EDT
[#6]
You should really use ammo for which a gun was designed.  Western guns were made to work with brass stuff.  If you are looking for cheap 45 ammo, try sellier and bellot.  It works great in my USP 45.  Brass cased, reliable, and fairly clean burning.  Good ammo for a great price.  For com-bloc weapons like makerovs, AK's and SKS's, steel cased is the way to go.  
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 11:56:45 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
If you are looking for cheap 45 ammo, try sellier and bellot.  It works great in my USP 45.  

Agreed on this one. I've fired several thousand rounds of S&B and never had a single problem.
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 11:59:34 AM EDT
[#8]
My .45 Tactical hates Wolf. Freezes it up solid. But I know of other fellow who use it in their H&K guns. You & I may just have tighter chambers.
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 1:18:44 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
My .45 Tactical hates Wolf. Freezes it up solid. But I know of other fellow who use it in their H&K guns. You & I may just have tighter chambers.

So does my USP Match .45.  Very embarassing when at the range and having to get help to open the slide.

I found the trick is to press on the extractor to release the round, then lock back the slide.  Then use a cleaing rod to knock out the stuck round.

I ended up selling my case of Wolf after about 4 such seizures.  Not a single problem since then...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top