Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/19/2002 11:12:52 AM EDT
With my great dissapointment toward the civie tavor, i was thinking...I'd love to see the AR16 reintroduced by armalite.  Right now there are some options for a semi 308...vepr (pretty heavy), AR 10 (same "issues as AR15 and sort o heavy), FAL's (most are on the heavy side as well).  In all these cases your looking at a 8-9 pound rifle.  

Why not beef up the new AR 180B...in a 16" lightweight barrel with the polymer lower...you should see the rifle come in at 7 pounds or so.  Make the gun accept FAL mags, and low in cost (relative to AR 10) and you have an awsome gun that will occupy a whole new niche in the market place.  

Now i know several will think this gun will compete with the AR 10...but if introduced in the 600-700 dollar range with the gas system...i think that it shouldn't take much away from the AR 10's (anyway with asa and other "AR 10's" on the market--armalite doesn't have market exclusivity anyway).  I don't think the 180B will take away from the 15 sales, do yall?

..in summary, what i want out of this gun...inexpensve (600-700 dollars), lightweight (>7 pounds..thank you polymer lowers), accepts inexpensive mags (FAL) and is chambered in the powerful 7.62x51 NATO.

...so what do yall think, do i just have too much time on my hands...or does anyone else think this is a good idea?  sloth
Link Posted: 1/19/2002 11:48:41 AM EDT
[#1]
                   Y
Link Posted: 1/19/2002 11:53:17 AM EDT
[#2]
..in summary, what i want out of this gun...inexpensve (600-700 dollars), lightweight (>7 pounds..thank you polymer lowers), accepts inexpensive mags (FAL) and is chambered in the powerful 7.62x51 NATO.
Link Posted: 1/19/2002 11:59:56 AM EDT
[#3]

With my great dissapointment toward the civie tavor

Whats happening with the tavor?
Link Posted: 1/19/2002 12:17:59 PM EDT
[#4]
the civie version looks to have the ergonomics of a large shoe box...i don't like "blockish" guns...sloth
Link Posted: 1/19/2002 12:19:41 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
the civie version looks to have the ergonomics of a large shoe box...i don't like "blockish" guns...sloth

do you have a link to a picture of it?
Link Posted: 1/19/2002 12:36:47 PM EDT
[#6]
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=86877

i hope that links alright...if not its an active topic in this forum...see page 2.

this thing reminds me of the pontiac aztec and that new chevy truck/suv/whatever it is (i forget the name).
Link Posted: 1/19/2002 1:19:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/19/2002 5:52:09 PM EDT
[#8]
A few months ago I asked A'lite if there were any plans to produce this rifle. I pointed out the same reasons to produce it and made the same recomendations as you did.The reply from A'lite was there was not any plans to make it becuase of costs. I would love to have one though. I heard last year that RobArms was going to make their rendition(sp?)of a Stoner 62!! If they do, UI'll be one of the first to have one. If this happens maybe A'lite will make the AR160.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top