Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/18/2002 11:15:24 AM EDT
What price range is fair? Just a standard USGI M1 carbine in good shape. Wood is not a deciding factor.
Thanks
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 11:20:49 AM EDT
[#1]
well lots are for sale at guns shows or if you want you can get a IAI carbine.its new and is gi specks.i got mine about a year ago for about $400
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 12:26:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Prices are dependant on how original you want your carbine to be.  Original M1A1 folder prices have gone through the roof, even lowly early and complete Inlands now approach the $650 range.  But you still can find decent USGI specimens for around $500 or so.  Gunshows are a good place to find them, also the various firearm auction sites.  You may also want to hang out at the Gun&Knife carbine forums - lots of carbine RKIs hang out there.
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 12:29:34 PM EDT
[#3]
AIM Surplus has a brand new M1 for around $400.

Don't know how GI or MILSPEC it is.  Take a look.
Link Posted: 1/19/2002 1:32:45 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
AIM Surplus has a brand new M1 for around $400.

Don't know how GI or MILSPEC it is.  Take a look.

That's the IAI carb. Very nice and a better deal for the money than the GI model. I've got an Inland that is nice but the IAI carb will be much more accurate. The Gov't carbines were built with fairly loose tolerances to enhance reliability. I'd go with the IAI carb if I were buying one now.
Lots of junk at gunshows. You need to really check these out. Lots of parts guns. Check SN's on parts, check bore and bolt, and definitely check out that receiver well. Many gunshow guns I've seen are pretty worn. Saw a beautiful Inland carb last year, though. LNIB, or close. They wanted $650 for it though- too much for me. Got mine for $250 about 4-5 years ago.
If you get one I'd largely stick to the 15 round GI mags. Still cheap. 30 rd mags are not near as reliable, in general.
Fun to shoot. Recoil of a pop-gun. My kid loves it. He's been trying to get it from me since I got it for father's day!
Avoid foreign made bayo's IMO as well.
There are some good deals on .30 carb ammo right now, also. Just look through SGN.
Link Posted: 1/19/2002 2:01:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Just bought an IMI carbine last week at the local gun show 400.00 nice plinker
Link Posted: 1/19/2002 4:54:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Can you use your Curio FFL on the Israeli ones?
Link Posted: 1/19/2002 9:09:36 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Can you use your Curio FFL on the Israeli ones?

doubt it
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 4:14:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for all you input. Going to  my local gun show today. I will see what they have to offer. I don't want anything other than USGI. This is the list of manufactures I must choose from.
Inland Manufacturing Division, G.M.C
Winchester Repeating Arms Company.
Underwood-Elliot-Fisher Company.
Saginaw Steering Gear Div., G.M.C
National Postal Meter Company.
Quality Hardware & Machine Company.
International Business Machines Corp (IBM)
Standard Products Company.
Rock-Ola Company.

Thanks again.
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 4:08:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Wound up buying a USGI IBM in excellent condition for $540 at gunbroker auction.
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 4:48:24 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Wound up buying a USGI IBM in excellent condition for $540 at gunbroker auction.

Cool! Has it gone through an arsenal restoration or is it an unmolested original?  Pics?
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 5:56:57 AM EDT
[#11]
I just bought a iai M1 Carbine model M888 from Aim surplus earlier this week for $375 and am very happy with it.  The carbine also comes w/a bayonet from Aim.  I have found it to be a good shooter, real fun to go out to play with.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top