Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 1/16/2002 7:18:31 PM EDT
shooting a pistol. i grew up shootin a rifle and shotgun, i own a few pistols but really have never shot very well with them. before any info heres the deal...

its not my trigger squeeze
i dont flinch
its not my grip
its not my sight alignment

ITS MY SHOOTING "PLATFORM" i cant seem to hold a damn pistol still on the target, its like im chasing the bullseye around...ive read some stuff about stances, and tried the "modified isoceles" and "modified weaver" and such. but hell, i dont really know if im doin them right either. ahh...so much the Army didnt teach...

any suggestions?

thanks
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 7:27:04 PM EDT
semi auto or revolver?

Spend lots of time Dry firing the pistol.

Make sure it's unloaded, unload it, make sure it's unloaded again and then aim at a safe direction and slowly work the trigger. What you are working on is form not speed or anything else. It took me lots of hours to get a steady smooth stroke on the trigger. Each pistol has it's own quirks like your rifles triggers.
This is what some old fart passed down to me and it seemed to get me off to a good start. I have been shooting IDPA and I'm not dropping many points for bad hits. Now I need to work on speed. My .02
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 7:34:43 PM EDT
its either one, auto or revolver, i just cant seem to the gun steady. the sights remain aligned correctly but like i said, im chasing the bull...(the gun weaves slightly) not so much that i am an AWFUL shot, just definitly not a pro...

thanks again

Link Posted: 1/16/2002 8:01:09 PM EDT
What he said. You need "muscle memory", which is obtained by some live fire, and a lot of dry fire.

-------
"Memoree yeah
Memoreeee Yeah!
No I don't have a gun,
No I don't have a gun.."
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 8:08:01 PM EDT
Try holding the pistol still different times of the day, especially first thing in the morning and before/after eating. Some people have a steadier hold when their blood suger is low and others when it is high. I shoot much better after eating something sweet early morning.z
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 8:45:42 PM EDT
If you smoke, lay off 'em while you're shooting. The nicotine increases your pulse rate, which will affect your shooting. I discovered this by accident one day. And, I'm the same way, but only with auto-loaders. I can shoot pretty well with a revolver, but I stand a better chance of hitting with a pistol if I throw it at 'em.
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 9:04:29 PM EDT
I have the same problem. Basicly the adreniline gets the best of me. Shooting alot is helping me but I also will use the recoil of the gun to help me. By this I mean as the gun is coming down to the bulls I keep the sights alinged and pull the trigger as it passes the bulls eye. I also will fire one round, wait 2 minutes and then fire another round. This helps my body to learn how to control the adreniline.

Basicly it all comes down to practice, practice, practice.

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 1/17/2002 6:58:15 AM EDT
A little secret that a very good pistol shot let me in own when I was 12 was to use a strap (he gave me his old own) that goes around your neck and around the front of your pistol. The strap is adjusted to sufficient length so that it tightens as you extend your arms for whatever stance you use (I use weaver). It is kind of like using a rifle sling as additional support wjen shooting offhand. The strap helped me a lot until I devloped the muscle stength to hold the pistol steady enough.

Karl
Link Posted: 1/17/2002 7:09:01 AM EDT
Don't drink and shoot.
Link Posted: 1/17/2002 8:24:25 AM EDT
Here is a little trick i learned from an old cop, an excellent shot. It works best with revolvers, but i suppose it could be done with a semi auto.
UNLOAD THE GUN. KEEP IT POINTED IN A SAFE DIRECTION AT ALL TIMES.
now balance a penny on the front sight and pick a target (TV, Cat, Lamp...) and dry fire at the target. see how many times you can dry fire it without dropping the penny. i havent done it in a while but one time i pulled the trigger 30 or 40 times.
Link Posted: 1/17/2002 10:32:35 AM EDT
try the "sweet spot" Keep your eyes directly on the target at hand. quickly raise the gun up to your line of sight so that your eyes are looking right through the sights at the target. then immediatly fire. some dry fire practice would help. but practice that idea. instead of bringing the gun with your eyes up at the same time to meet the bulls eye or bringing your eyes up to meet the sights instead bring the sights up to YOUR line of site then squeeze the trigger.

Also try breathing techniques. when you bring up the sights to meet your line of sight hold your breath temporarily. remember to release your breath and hold again as needed to better your consentration.
Top Top