Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 1/16/2002 11:25:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/16/2002 1:13:39 PM EDT by gaar]
One of my Great uncles passed away the other day & My aunt gave me an Inland M1 carbine that he was working on, He rebarreled it with a new chrome lined barrel, Reparked it & refinished the stock; It Looks beautiful! The problem is that when I checked headspace the bolt will not close on the Go Gauge. Can I use a chamber finishing reamer & ream it out to proper size?Will the Chrome Lining prevent me form doing this? Are there any other solutions?
Can I file the bolt locking lugs & Re harden them?
Should I just rebarrel with a the New non chrome lined Marlin made barrel I found laying around in my uncles shop?
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 1:22:13 PM EDT

Can I file the bolt locking lugs & Re harden them?

NO! You should NOT have to mess with the bolt. The issue is, I'm 90% certain, with the barrel.

I would take it to a gunsmith and ask how much he'd charge to finish ream it. The reamer is not cheap, something close to $90.

If nothing else, replacement barrels are easy enough to come by.

Another thing: how certain are you he didn't rechamber it to something else?
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 1:29:32 PM EDT
Have you done a chamber casting and slugged the barrel yet? Do those things before any reaming. Leave the bolt lugs alone.
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 9:37:06 PM EDT
If you’ve got access to any other bolts, try swapping them out. You might get lucky.
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 9:44:44 PM EDT
I saw quite a few M1 Carbines in the last 2 years with this problem. Did the bbl come from KY Imports? Most of the ones I saw (approx 30) were well worn then hard chrome plated and sold as "Like New". At least 1/4 of them had head space problems. You can cut hard chrome with a carbide ream (but try to find one). Don't dick with the bolt. Change the bbl.
Top Top