Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 1/14/2002 10:04:35 PM EDT
Anyone used the Federal High Energy or Hornady Light Magnum ammunition in .308?

marvl or rudison?
You guys usually have some good comments!

Also, some recommendations on bbl. break-in ammo and Match Ammo in .308.

I'm stocking food for my new baby...
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 9:40:34 AM EDT
OK, how 'bout any other calibers?
Does this stuff work as advertised?
No one has tried it??
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 9:47:02 AM EDT
DO NOT USE THE LIGHT MAGNUM IN A SEMI-AUTO!

The pressure is simply too high.
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 10:58:16 AM EDT
I have used 150gr .308 Light Magnum rounds in my M700. They are the most impressive rounds I have seen in a long time. They are soft point with what looks like striations or grooves cut in the bullet itself. The round is extremely high velocity and the recoil is very noticeable compared to 168gr Fed Match. I had to readjust my Zero after about 10rounds. It kept knocking the settings off. The round is also devastating on Deer with solid expansion and good penetration.
PS. DO NOT USE IN SEMI-AUTOS

JerrY
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 11:51:16 AM EDT

Originally Posted By M700-308:
I have used 150gr .308 Light Magnum rounds in my M700. They are the most impressive rounds I have seen in a long time. They are soft point with what looks like striations or grooves cut in the bullet itself. The round is extremely high velocity and the recoil is very noticeable compared to 168gr Fed Match. I had to readjust my Zero after about 10rounds. It kept knocking the settings off. The round is also devastating on Deer with solid expansion and good penetration.
PS. DO NOT USE IN SEMI-AUTOS

JerrY

Yeah, that's what I was looking for.
Imagine how well it would do on, say, auto glass or bodywork, if one were forced to used that medium as a target.
I understand the warning against use in gas-operated autoloaders; I've read that before.

Did the POI change from the standard pressure ammo?
Did I understand that the extra recoil is what caused the scope to change zero?
All-righty, then!
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 4:53:00 PM EDT
The powder in the light magnum has a longer pressure curve than is normal. Don't bother using it in a short barrel, it won't be any better. In my 7x57 there was no notable increase in recoil. Acurracy is not as good as standard rouns, but still acceptable for hunting.
Top Top