Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/13/2002 1:58:10 PM EDT
Ok, I plan on getting my CAR-15 this comming thursday. One of the first things I want to do is modify the safety switch so that its not a PITA when shooting(Im left handed). Second: what is a carbine rifle exactly? I keep seeing the term and dont have a clue to its definition. Thirdly: for accurate shooting does a two stage trigger have a big advantage over the standard trigger? Fourthly: Can anyone give me some links to makers of bull barrels? Thanks guys
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 2:58:27 PM EDT
[#1]
1. there is a selector that you can install in place of the factory selector to give you right or left select (ambendex..(? damn spelling!)

2. Main Entry: car·bine
Pronunciation: 'kär-"bEn, -"bIn
Function: noun
Etymology: French carabine, from Middle French carabin carabineer
Date: 1605
1 : a short-barreled lightweight firearm orig. used by cavalry
2 : a light short-barreled repeating rifle that is used as a supplementary military arm or for hunting in dense brush

3. two stage will help when benchrest or target shooting,  I dont see a need for this high cost option for general use / protection.

Link Posted: 1/13/2002 2:59:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Main Entry: car·bine
Pronunciation: 'kär-"bEn, -"bIn
Function: noun
Etymology: French carabine, from Middle French carabin carabineer
Date: 1605
1 : a short-barreled lightweight firearm orig. used by cavalry
2 : a light short-barreled repeating rifle that is used as a supplementary military arm or for hunting in dense brush

Edited to add: Guess you beat me to it
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 6:13:08 PM EDT
[#3]
In ARish, a rifle has a 20" barrel; anything shorter (16", 14.5", etc.) is a carbine.

As far as the trigger, I'd see how bad your stock trigger is first. Some are not bad, others are horrible. It also depends on what you want the rifle for. For a competition or varmint rifle, definately get a double stage. For a serious weapon, you might want to keep the military trigger and maybe just polish it a little.

I am not sure who sells bull barrels.  HBARs are already plenty heavy, and they are usually extremely accurate.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top