Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/12/2002 10:52:49 PM EDT
I had a Meprolight front sight on an upper I sold. I liked it but made it part of the deal for my buddy. Now I miss my little green sight.

I am thinking about putting a full set (front & rear) on my M4gery. I like Trijicons rear peep sight but do not like how thick their front sight is.

I like Meprolights front sight but do not like the rear sight. Now I must say that I have never handled an AR with the Meprolight rear sight. I just do not like what I see in photographs.

I was thinking about getting the Meprolight front sight and the Trijicon rear and making a set that I do like. My question is, will this work? Or with one wash out the other?

Anyone got any ideas? I know that I can not call these companies and ask them. They will just try to sell me their stuff.
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 5:09:47 AM EDT
[#1]
The only rear site that I have actually seen at night had the two dots on the side of the rear peep. If the other kind you are speaking about is fully round then it might wash out the front sight. I would think you should have no trouble with either. JMO though.
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 7:42:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Anyone got any ideas? quote]

Lucky, in a word NO

Search the OPTICS section - I posted my experience with Trijicon's illuminated front and rears. In short, in low light you don't notice the rears, in darkness it is a bright blur next to your eye that washes out the front.

I ended up going with the Ashleys. Same plane, standard dot, round top - keeps POA / POI as close as possible in day and night.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 10:58:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Why not just get the Mepro front sight and use the standard 0-200 goastring rear.
www.brownells.com has the front only,
# 387-304-115
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 12:04:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Basically I concur with Six on the rear sight.  You can shoot pretty accurately in darkness; you just can't see what you're shooting at.  The Meprolight rear sight appears to have four tritium dots in it, which would wash out even more.  I'm looking into trying the yellow and orange rear sights to see if they wash out less.  If that doesn't work I'll go for the Ashley Same-Plane rear.

Francisco
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 3:44:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks guys.

Has anyone used the 2 dot open Meprolight rear sight?
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 5:58:50 PM EDT
[#6]
I also agree with SIX and Francisco.

Don't get a tritium rear sight.  Get whatever tritium front sight floats your boat.

Personally, I don't have tritium sights on my rifles as any rifle I plan on using in the dark has a Surefire light, but that is just me.

JAW
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top