Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/12/2002 2:03:03 PM EDT
Last time I talked to you guys I had decided on getting a colt AR-15 in which the owner had purchased in 1991 and had only shot 20 rounds through. It has a flash suppressor, the "fixed" handle and a small red star 3x20 scope on it. I just found out the barrel is a 20" H-bar and the serial # is MH00xxxx. This would indicate to me that it is a pre-ban. So I think Im going to go ahead and get it this thursday. The guy's asking $1000 and it looks brand new....almost. I plan on getting a bi-pod, bull barrel, free float tube, bigger scope, cheek rest, etc...So does the MH in the serial# say anything about the kind of gun it was?
Link Posted: 1/12/2002 2:06:39 PM EDT
[#1]
congrats Siennfein!
You will not regret getting the preban at that price and you will over time see what a good deal it was.  I got mine for $850 and at the time agonized over the "high price" I was paying!

Link Posted: 1/12/2002 2:12:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Good to hear, but if I were going to get a pre-ban I would put it into a carbine version with the CAR stock and the 16" barrel with bayonet lug and flash suppressor. You can do the bull barrel setup on a post ban. Just a thought for you anyway.
Link Posted: 1/12/2002 2:27:14 PM EDT
[#3]
VA has a good point that I forgot about since mine came in that configuration.  Course the beauty of an ar is that you can get another upper in a preban 16" config and be able to instantly change out to the 20" if and when you want to.  Or sell it and recoup the price of the 16.
Link Posted: 1/12/2002 2:42:58 PM EDT
[#4]
welcome to the fraternity

Not bad considering I purchased my CR6601 back in July of 93 for $600 .
Then in January 94 snagged my CR6700, for a kingly sum of $850

Link Posted: 1/12/2002 3:21:20 PM EDT
[#5]
great price..  I would be all over it.  
Link Posted: 1/12/2002 5:43:47 PM EDT
[#6]

So does the MH in the serial# say anything about the kind of gun it was?

Match HBAR.

www.biggerhammer.net/ar15/ar15serial.html
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top