Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/11/2002 9:43:49 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 11:42:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Are we talking the Norinco yellow box stuff?  This was the first sort of ammo I tried to shoot out of my colt in 1997, and I had always heard that their AK ammo was the shit, so I had high hopes.  

Instead, I had problems.  It's been too long to remember properly, but one round would not feed and jammed halfway into the chamber.  I was not happy horsing on the aluminum cocking handle of an $850 rifle to extract the cartridge.  I therefore seized the remaining cartridges and heaved them into the forest.  Litterbug, but I did dispose of the box properly.  

UMC was fine that day, luckily.  
I'd pass;  my colored brethren let me down.  

Link Posted: 1/11/2002 12:15:54 PM EDT
[#2]
I have absolutely no faith in Chinese claims that ANY ammo they produce is noncorrosive. I've been burned more than once and they won't do it to me again.
Avoid it, IMHO.
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 1:02:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Damnable Chinese yellowbox.  It made a blight, enormous flash, clearly visible in the bright, cloudless noonday sun. It was 2 feet long, and almost a foot in diameter, from a Mini.
Link Posted: 1/12/2002 9:38:49 AM EDT
[#4]
1000 rds of 9mm for $195 is WAY too high!
cpermd
Link Posted: 1/12/2002 9:53:20 AM EDT
[#5]
I think that's $195 Canadian?
Link Posted: 1/12/2002 11:23:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Is Chinese ammo imported into the States anymore? I don't think so, never used any of the 9mm, but the old .223 & 7.62x39mm was always great stuff.
Link Posted: 1/12/2002 11:59:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/12/2002 7:27:28 PM EDT
[#8]
We tried some Chinese 115gr. 9mm in my wife's Browning HP and it was total garbage. I remember they had brass-colored looking bullets (instead of the usual copper color) and were packaged in 30 round boxes, like the way .22 rimfires are. The stuff shot real dirty and there were a bunch of misfires. Don't take chances on this being the same junk. Buy something else!

coyote3
Link Posted: 1/12/2002 9:56:36 PM EDT
[#9]
I used to shoot indoor action pistol matches with some guys who shot Chinese 9mm ammo. One round would go "BANG!" and the next would go
"pop."   I guess the slave labor they had running the quality control on powder uniformity had been beaten extra bad when they turned that stuff out or something.  This should about sum it up:
John
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 1:12:28 AM EDT
[#10]
I've used Norinco .308 with no problems. Seemed to be reasonably accurate stuff, but it is copper-washed (bullet, case, everything), so it looks almost like dummy ammo.
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 10:43:56 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 3:44:41 PM EDT
[#12]
The Chinese 9mm ammo has dangerously thin brass, I think there was a recall on it at one point. I bought some to fire in my new at the time, Tec-9 (I know total POS.) I first ran a couple of boxes of American Eagle through it with no problems. Then I filled up a couple of magazines with the Norinco stuff.... The gun started malfunctioning after about 10rds, so I stopped firing, unloaded, and picked up some of the brass to take a look at it. The American Eagle brass looked fine, however each and every Norinco casing was bulged out around the base in an almost perfect 5/16" ring just above the rim. It looked like a belted magnum casing. (Because of the Tec 9's blowback action, the casing starts to move back as soon as the pistol is fired and the pressure inside caused the brass to expand outside of the chamber.)

I took the ammo back to my buddy's gun shop and showed it to him, he told me he had just gotten a letter from the distributor to pull it off the shelf because of the ammo blowing up in other pistols. I guess I got lucky, I would have hated to lose my eyesight or hand to such a junk gun with even worse ammo. Just thought I would pass that along.
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 11:48:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Stay away from any & all Chinese ammo. All of their arms & ammo are made by the Red Army. Why should we make their profit when they shoot our planes down?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top