Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/12/2002 10:31:11 AM EDT
[#1]
My cousin lives in DE and I would not consider it extremly resrictive. Yes he had to jump through alot of hoops to get his cc permit, but they don't have any resrictions on mags or "assult weapons" as some other states do. I don't know if they allow class III.
Link Posted: 1/12/2002 10:55:17 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Rick,
Thanks for filling in the blanks about Michigan. I lived there for 22 years. I still own property there and travel there often.

No problem.  Some laws have probably change lately.  Don't get me wrong I do really like living here and it is a great state but this snow crap has got to end..  And you know with all the hunters that live here is was a real suprise the that Al Bore won this state.  I guess it was all those damn Democrates in the unions.

Check out the Mi. State police website they are pretty up to date on this stuff.

www.msp.state.mi.us/CCW/ccw.htm
Link Posted: 1/12/2002 11:37:56 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I do really like living here and it is a great state but this snow crap has got to end..  And you know with all the hunters that live here is was a real suprise the that Al Bore won this state.  

I enjoy the Michigan weather and landscape. Politically it is a very leftist state though. Your major industries are Automotive, Farming, and Prisons. All traditional Democratic strongholds. Add the significant Black (read Democrat) populations in Lansing, Flint, Grand Rapids, and Detroit, and you have a state that politically resembles the east coast more than it's "midwest" location would lead you to believe.
Link Posted: 1/12/2002 11:41:57 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Add the significant Black (read Democrat) populations in Lansing, Flint, Grand Rapids, and Detroit

That's how I wrote it.

Link Posted: 1/12/2002 11:52:32 AM EDT
[#5]
BigBear was right about KY.

Class 3 ok, shall issue (after taking safety class and a check for the usual no-nos), good fishing and hunting laws AND its beautiful.

Art in KY
Link Posted: 1/12/2002 12:11:25 PM EDT
[#6]
The red states on this map are generally more gun friendly than the blue states.

Link Posted: 1/12/2002 6:14:30 PM EDT
[#7]
FL is right up there with the best. No lower authorities are allowed to make gun laws (can someone tell me about this stuff with Miami?). CCW pretty easy, though a bit pricey. A couple of silly laws, but they don't apply if you have a CCW and other guns. Open carry is prohibited except in a few circumstances, like hunting, at the range, or going home with a gun you just bought. Can have loaded guns in car too, if they're in a zip-bag or snap holster or something.

For VA people - how does that one gun a month thing work? If you buy a gun one day, and then go to another store the next day how do they know you bought a gun yesterday?
Link Posted: 1/12/2002 8:30:38 PM EDT
[#8]
South Dakota is almost as laid back as they come. Shall issue, $10 for a 4 year concealed carry permit. No training course or anything else required. Sounds like they even issue the permits to 18 year olds....All the statutes are at
legis.state.sd.us/statutes/index.cfm?FuseAction=DisplayStatute&txtStatute=23-7&FindType=Statute

Link Posted: 1/12/2002 8:55:36 PM EDT
[#9]

Oklahoma has it all Guys!, CCW, Class 3, hunting with ARs AND the Largest gun shows in the Nation.

Hold up, cowboy. From ODWC's website, www.wildlifedepartment.com, "Clips or magazines of all .22 caliber centerfire firearms may not be capable of holding more than seven (7) rounds of ammunition. Fully automatic firearms are prohibited."

I'd say Arizona gets the nod. Oklahoma isn't particularly restrictive, but it isn't as open as some think. Class III isn't a given item in all seventy-seven counties. CCW is still frowned upon in some areas.
Link Posted: 1/12/2002 9:05:18 PM EDT
[#10]
ALASKA  

You want it, you got it!  Plus the weather's real nice
Link Posted: 1/12/2002 11:49:32 PM EDT
[#11]
... Man, all these insert your state here comments that aren't either Idaho, Arizona, Nevada, Texas or Alaska just seem so apologetic about not being free. You ladies and gentlemen need to start working your politicians!
Once you’ve lived in a “free” state you just cannot go back.
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 1:02:39 AM EDT
[#12]
I categorized any state that didn't allow Open Carry as Moderate or worse. To get a Gun-Friendly rating, you need to allow Open Carry a la most states. But, interestingly not among them are Texas, Florida, and Georgia. That is why they are Categorized as moderate.

Now, if you want a real friendly state, check LA. They allow Open Carry if I remember correctly, your car is protected territory, and you don't have to retreat from a shooting.

And as previous shown, they don't frivilously prosecute for Self-Defense or for honest mistakes. Avoid New Orleans though. Those guys are corrupt.
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 1:10:31 AM EDT
[#13]
Florida is good. Unfortunately, as I am 20 I cannot carry. I can carry openly when I am in AL with no Permit, but not Florida.

As far as Miami goes, their laws are illegal and I don't reconize or follow them. But, the local cops take pride in making people at gun shows too scared to break the illegal laws.

Unfortunately, the laws are followed by the local FFLs and most of the guys at the gun shows. They get people by scaring them into compliance and those who don't, they will probably try to get them to plea-deal. Most of the sheeple don't realize they are not in the wrong.

In Florida it is technically legal to have a gun in your car on school grounds. But, every so often Miami will arrest someone and get a plea deal. They find someone who forgot they had a gun in their car, then put the screws on them telling them what'll happen to them, until they crack and plea-bargain to something smaller.

Did I mention, Miami is extremely corrupt and the Cops are Violent Criminals. I consider giving them guns akin to arming a Terrorist Orginaztion or a Criminal Street Gang.

Quoted:
FL is right up there with the best. No lower authorities are allowed to make gun laws (can someone tell me about this stuff with Miami?). CCW pretty easy, though a bit pricey. A couple of silly laws, but they don't apply if you have a CCW and other guns. Open carry is prohibited except in a few circumstances, like hunting, at the range, or going home with a gun you just bought. Can have loaded guns in car too, if they're in a zip-bag or snap holster or something.

For VA people - how does that one gun a month thing work? If you buy a gun one day, and then go to another store the next day how do they know you bought a gun yesterday?

Link Posted: 1/13/2002 3:40:01 AM EDT
[#14]
Jim Dandy....I didn't mean you could hunt deer with full auto! if you need more than 7 rds in your AR15 get yourself an AR10 or FAL and you could have 20! CCW is frowned on EVERYWHERE but its still legal! We still have the largest gunshows in the country which says something.    respectfully  gunny
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 4:33:21 AM EDT
[#15]
I have to say NY is definately among the worst for handguns. Rifles/Shotguns are good outside of NYC only the FBI check no permit no restriction other then the AW ban. But each county has its own laws for handgun permits. The ridiculous process statewide though is:

1. Obtain permit paperwork.
2. Take 10 hour NRA basic pistol course
oops you have qualify (informal) with various pistols at a range. Except in NY you cannot handle a pistol without a permit. But you cannot get a permit without shooting at the NRA class. The exception to this however is you can shoot a bb gun for qualification or go to a range in CT.
3. Purchase a handgun. Hopefully you found one you liked if your new to handguns at the NRA class because again you cannot handle a pistol without a permit. Hope the dealer doesn't go out of business while you are waiting on the paperwork approval.
4. Submit all paperwork with pistol(s) serial number.
5. County laws differ. Mine 4 referances, notorized. Paperwork, notizied, 2 witness signatures. 4 Passport photos. All paperwork filled out in triplicate. Home inspection where pistol(s) will be stored. Must be anchored securely, the investigators will try to rip the safe/lock box from its location, if they succeed you fail inspection. Full background investigation/fingerprinting.
6. Wait, wait and wait longer. 1 year usual turnaround if you do not know anyone.
7. Forget CC permit unless you know a judge or  can provide proof of you assigned to making large cash deposits for a business or your business.

I do not know the laws in NYC but I think you cannot even carry a pocket knife lol! Seriously though police officers are even discouraged from carrying off duty in NYC. I believe long guns requires a city permit.
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 5:25:22 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I have classified states into Certain Categories:

1) 2nd Amendment, What Is That States --

Washington, D.C.
New Jersey
Massachutsetts
Illinois
New York City

2) Extremely Restrictive States --

California
Connecticut
Maryland
Rhode Island
Deleware
Ohio (Certain Parts)
New York State
Hawaii
Denver

3) Restrictive States (No CCW, No Class 3, etc...) --

Missouri
Iowa
Minnesotta
Ohio (Rest of The State)
Kansas
Nebraska
Washington
Alabama (No SBRs/SBSs/Discretionary CCW/23 For CCW in Mobile County)
Miami (Until The Laws Are Challanged)

4) Slightly Restrictive States (Easy Permits) --

North Carolina
South Carolina
Virginia

5) Moderate States --

Florida (Except Miami)
Georgia
Pennsylvania
Indiana (No SBSs)
Michigan
Texas
Oklahoma (23 For CCW. Now That Is Fucked Up.)
Nevada
Oregon

6) Gun-Friendly States --

Alaska
Idaho
Montana
Utah
Arizona
New Mexico
Colorado (Except Denver)
North Dakota
South Dakota
Wyoming
Louisiana
Arkansas
Mississippi
Tennessee
Kentucky
West Virginia
New Hampshire
Maine

7) Near Model States --

Vermont

Now, if Vermont would get rid of the $5 Fine For Getting Caught With A Silencer They'd Be The Model State. I know it's only $5, but I doubt the ATF would Approve the Form 1/4 in Vermont.

Where is Wisconsin?
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 5:45:13 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
[>(] Sad to say I think I live in one of the most gun unfriendly states. Kaliban-Califonia. If I would have known how restricked the gun laws were here I would have not bought here, but to late now guess I have to live with the nice weather, beautiful women, movie stars, and of course the WORLD CHAMPION LOS ANGELES LAKERS
But, I still do envy all the gun friendly states

Not to get on your case specifically, but you exemplify part of the problem with protecting our constitutional rights.  I believe that if more folks would put as much time into learning about politics and what the politicians are doing to us as they put into watching sports and admiring sports figures, we would be in a much better position to protect our rights.
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 6:39:30 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Background check.

Edited to add:  It's not guns, it's handguns that are limited to one a month.  As I said in a previous post one can actually buy more than one a month with an easy to obtain purchase permit, but I've just never felt like going for it because I've never had enough money for more than one handgun.  Of course, I don't turn 21 until this month anyway.  
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 6:45:27 AM EDT
[#19]
woops, my bad...I just plain missed Wisconson. It would mgo under restrictive for having NO CCW.
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 6:59:53 AM EDT
[#20]
1) Second Amendment What is that ?

Defined: Any state that requires a FOID Card to even touch a gun.

2) Extremely Restrictive.

Defined: Any state that has bans on "Assault Weapons", "Hi-Capacity" Magazines, or Handguns.

3) Restrictive.

Defined: Any state that does not have a Shall-Issue CCW, or does not allow Class 3, or sets an arbitrary age above Federal Law on Dealers.

4) Slightly Restrictive.

Defined: Any state that requires Pistol Permits or has a 1 Gun a month Rule as long as such permits are obtainable for the Average Joe.

5) Moderate.

Defined: Any state that would qualify as Gun-Friendly were it to allow Open Carry w/o a Lisence.

6) Gun Friendly.

Defined: Any state that is not in any of the above categories and allows open carry.

7) Near Model.

Defined: Any state not in any of the above categories that allows CCW w/o a Lisence.
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 8:38:27 AM EDT
[#21]
cc48510,

Great job defining those catagories!

Now that you have explained your definitions of the catagories I agree with PA being in the moderate catagory.

I think we should get the list along with the definitions of the catagories in an FAQ or pinned to the top of the Legal section.

Link Posted: 1/13/2002 8:48:26 AM EDT
[#22]

I'll whole-heartedly agree that NJ is down near the bottom, but at least we don't have the individual pistol approval nonsense that some do. MD and CT, I believe, will only allow approved handguns on a state list to be sold. And there's damned few on the list.

That's wrong - MA has the individual approval list, not CT.
CT is a sorta-not-half-bad place.  Permits are may-issue, but easy. I got mine at age 18 (that's changed though).  We are allowed to carry to bars, sporting events, govt buildings, etc.; just not schools and the capitol.  We have an assault weapon ban, but it was totally half-assed - Colt AR-15's were banned, but not clones, etc.  Class III is fine, but select-fire was in the assault weapon ban (see comment about half-assed).
No problems with any handgun, hollow-points, etc.  Long-guns can be purchased with a pistol permit or a hunting license with no wait.
The bad news - paperwork on every transfer, must call state police for free approval.
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 8:52:28 AM EDT
[#23]
Also, I like the categories, but maybe a point system would work better.  
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 8:53:44 AM EDT
[#24]
I lived in IL for quite some time, and although the gun laws are restrictive, they are not intrusive.

I can buy any handgun I want at the gunstore, and more than one at that. I can buy "evil" assault weapons, and more than one at a time. Shotguns, .50's, whatever.

No restrictions on mag size.

No Class 3, which is a drag, but I can't afford it, so it dosen't bother me too much.

We have a 3 day wait on handguns/pistol gripped anything, and a 24 hour wait on rifles/non-pistol grip shotguns.

The FOID card is easy to get, the only reason to be denyed is if you can't pass the standard questions on the form you fill out when you buy a gun.

No CCW, so thats a big minus.

Most people only really see the Chicago laws, which are MORE strict than the rest of the state, or even the oughtright ban on handguns some cities near Chicago have.

Av.

Edited to add: if it wasn't for the Chicago Democratic machine, this state would never be as bad as it is.
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 9:31:36 AM EDT
[#25]
I have to take issue with putting Ohio in the "restrictive" category.  Although not perfect, it certainly is not gun-unfriendly.  (Shhh...please don't tell our lawmakers!)

Basically, you walk in and pay your money and prove residency, fill out the 4473, pass the NICS and walk out the door with your purchase.

Ohio doesn't have CCW (yet), or a firearms preemption law. Cities like Cleveland and Toledo have already "banned" certain types of evil firearms. (I put banned in "" because I have no idea how they actually enforce those laws. Plus, do you really want to live within the city limits of Cleveland or Toledo anyhow? )

Ohio does have:
1.) Constitutionally protected right to keep and bear arms. (This will test the legality of current anti-CCW laws in court very shortly.)
2.) No registration or licensing schemes.
3.) No restrictions on intra-state private sales.
4.) No purchase limits.
5.) No waiting periods.
6.) No LEO permission needed for gun purchase.
7.) No magazine bans, other than federal statutes.
8.) No training requirements.
9.) Class 3 legal.  I don't know if we're actually "friendly".
10.) A prohibition on hunting with center-fire rifles. (Shotgun, handgun, black powder is OK.)

Edited 'cause I got over-heated.
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 9:40:20 AM EDT
[#26]
SWS,

I think not having a cc permit warrants putting Ohio in the resrictive catagory. CC is a very important thing to be able to legally do. If you can't then it is resrictive. (no flame intended)

Also I heard that you can not hunt with rifles in all or some parts of the state (I heard it was some sort of safety issue bec the land is too flat ?) is this true ?
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 9:48:06 AM EDT
[#27]
Philadelphia_GunMan:

CCW is coming to Ohio.  Likely sometime this year.  In what form, nobody knows yet.

Ohio does not permit hunting with center-fire rifles.  Most of Ohio is generally flat and the population is fairly spread-out.  There just aren't many wide-open spaces anymore.

I'm not a hunter so I can't speak with any authority, but I would think that most of a typical hunter's shots would be at fairly close range in this state.

Link Posted: 1/13/2002 9:55:52 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I categorized any state that didn't allow Open Carry as Moderate or worse. To get a Gun-Friendly rating, you need to allow Open Carry a la most states. But, interestingly not among them are Texas, Florida, and Georgia. That is why they are Categorized as moderate.

Now, if you want a real friendly state, check LA. They allow Open Carry if I remember correctly, your car is protected territory, and you don't have to retreat from a shooting.

And as previous shown, they don't frivilously prosecute for Self-Defense or for honest mistakes. Avoid New Orleans though. Those guys are corrupt.

In Florida and Georgia, you can carry a loaded pistol without a license, you can't do that in Colorado.  Go to ]www.packing.org and read the laws for each state.  In Colorado, carry in the car and open carry are allowed in SOME jurisdictions and one can get in a lot of trouble without knowing it.  Colorado is also a "may issue" state.  Colorado is not more "gun friendly" than either of those two states, nor is it moreso than Texas.

Open carry is okay where I am visiting and don't have either a non-res license or reciprocity, but it is overrated.  It lets the bad guys know who is carrying.
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 10:07:45 AM EDT
[#29]
Kentucky....Guns here, No big deal.  I got my concealed carry license several months ago.  No big deal.  
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 11:14:11 AM EDT
[#30]
I miscategorized Colorado. The may-issue is a problem. It belongs in the restrictive category just for not having Shall-Issue CCW.

Sorry, but you are wrong about FL and GA. I have lived in FL for my entire life and Open Carry is illegal. It is OK in your vehicle, though. GA is very similar to FL on the issue.

What I originally read about CO suggested Open Carry was OK, except in Denver. If that is incorrect and them having may-issue would put them in restrictive.

Quoted:

Quoted:

In Florida and Georgia, you can carry a loaded pistol without a license, you can't do that in Colorado.  Go to ]www.packing.org and read the laws for each state.  In Colorado, carry in the car and open carry are allowed in SOME jurisdictions and one can get in a lot of trouble without knowing it.  Colorado is also a "may issue" state.  Colorado is not more "gun friendly" than either of those two states, nor is it moreso than Texas.

Open carry is okay where I am visiting and don't have either a non-res license or reciprocity, but it is overrated.  It lets the bad guys know who is carrying.

Link Posted: 1/13/2002 2:21:33 PM EDT
[#31]
Virginia is pretty good.

shall-issue, open carry (except where it's prohibited), etc. like another poster detailed.

AFAIK, Open carry technically can apply not only to pistols, but shotguns that can hold something like less than 7 rounds, and rifles with nothing more than a 20 round mag, and some other minor restrictions. However, I still wouldn't go down the street toting my AR-15 on my back, though.  

Something really interesting is that they have no laws against open carry on college campuses. As a college student I find this interesting. The laws that restrict me from possessing a firearm on campus (except when transporting it to/from the range, home, etc) are imposed by the campus itself, with the penalty simply being expulsion. In the eyes of the law, there is technically nothing wrong with me (or even better, a non-college student) going through my campus with my shotgun on me in open view, however like I said this would probably cause havoc. I have consulted a university lawyer on this topic, and he validated the independent research I did. However, he noted that this topic has been brought up to the state legislature a few times, and (of course) stated his opinion that he hopes that the state's restrictions on firearms on school-grounds will be extended to include university campuses in the future.

All in all, out here in the south-western part of Virginia, people seem to be pretty laid back about firearms (a LOT better than where I come from -- liberal Chapel Hill, NC). The campus police are very polite to me, and treat me with respect despite the fact that I may be checking in my Evil Black Rifle at the time.

Robby

edited to correct spelling errors.
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 2:49:00 PM EDT
[#32]
Washington State is a shall-issue CCW state; class 3 is not allowed, but with on exception: suppressors are legal to own (If you can get the CLEO sign-off), but not shoot with (Go figure). A legal way to get them and avoid the CLEO hassle is to declare a corp. with yourself as the owner, and make it the owner of the suppressors. The catch here is that you have to maintain the corp. to keep them. Otherwise, they must be transfered to an individual w/ CLEO permission (Next to impossible on the left coast), or sold to a (dealer) class 3 holder.

An interesting side note: My dealer once told me that the local battalions up here at Ft. Lewis were point-blank asked if they'd follow an order to confiscate. The reply was negative, with some going even further, stating that such an order would be illegal. Certain segments of the gov't would like to make "grab", but there's still not enough support, due to a belligerent & persisten conservative constituency around here.
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 3:47:01 PM EDT
[#33]
Since I may be moving to Michigan in the next year, what's the deal with registering handguns/pistol inspection?  Would appreciate details as to what this entails.  Do they end up keeping your handgun(s) for a certain period?
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 3:59:28 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I have classified states into Certain Categories:

Vermont

Now, if Vermont would get rid of the $5 Fine For Getting Caught With A Silencer They'd Be The Model State. I know it's only $5, but I doubt the ATF would Approve the Form 1/4 in Vermont.

Where is Wisconsin?

Still, just north of Illinois.  
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 4:01:38 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I'll whole-heartedly agree that NJ is down near the bottom, but at least we don't have the individual pistol approval nonsense that some do.  MD and CT, I believe, will only allow approved handguns on a state list to be sold.  And there's damned few on the list.

NJ Con's
Mag limited to 15 rounds.
No pre-ban anything.
No AK anything.
CCW is "on the books" but is "may issue" which means "won't issue".
Need a state ID card for long guns & all ammo.
Need a special permit with a complete background check for handguns.
Cops have no idea what the laws allow.

NJ Pro's  
State ID is available without too much hassle.
Permits for handguns are generally available.
Can buy any pistol with mag capacity up to 15.
Can temporarily block a 20 or 30 round mag down to 15.  No welding/pinning/surgery needed.
Post ban ARs and M1As are still available & legal.
Lots of pistol and rifle competitions.  Lots of ranges around.  I could shoot a match almost every weekend all summer.
Shooters are very active in lobbying the legislature for changes.  

You forgot to add that hollow points are illegal.

Hollow points are only illegal in NJ for illegal purposes.  They are perfectly legal for otherwise legal target shooting & self-defense.  They are sold as ammunition & componants in almost every gun store.
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 4:44:53 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Philadelphia_GunMan:

Ohio does not permit hunting with center-fire rifles.  Most of Ohio is generally flat and the population is fairly spread-out.  There just aren't many wide-open spaces anymore.

Let's clarify the above statement.  Ohio does not permit "deer hunting" with a high powered rifle, but one can be used for groundhogs or other vermin (four legged kind, not the two legged ones).  Class 3 is allowed, but the stipulation is that you have to have the head of your local law enforcement sign a form to allow you to possess it.  Many Chiefs, Sheriffs, etc will sign the form, but a lot of them won't, so if you're in unfriendly territory, you're out of luck.
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 7:01:53 PM EDT
[#37]
ok, so i guess in need to move to machinegunzona, uh, i mean arizona, hows the job situation there, and what does a full auto ar cost, just a beater, and where would one want to live if i, er he was to move there
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top